New to me Strada

The 3 1/2 forum
Papa Lazarou

Re: New to me Strada

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Ming wrote:
MickeyMoto wrote:...Alarm bells ringing... have you rechecked cam and ignition timing?
Maybe the key is sheared or missing so that the flywheel is not correctly positioned?
The Woodruff key is nearly flat, although it shouldn't shift much as it's torqued to spec.
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Well, the Guzzi is very happy. Once I've done the chores I'll take it out.
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Rob at Revs suggests lapping the end of the crank with valve paste. I'll do that.

I will also take the flywheel off, check for pinched wires on the stator and knock out the old Woodruff key. I can then properly position the flywheel. I will also check that all the marks line up-I understand the cam belt has been replaced so this is necessary.

If anybody knows what size Woodruff key it is, please let me know.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Incorrect fitting of the belt shouldn't affect the TDC marks, but well worth checking. Perhaps the drive pinion has been disturbed at some time? I have happy memories of someone making a woodruff key out of an old bicycle spanner on a camp site in Sulby Glen during TT week (err, um 1973). It needed to be 'stepped' as the slot in the alternator rotor had worn loose (AJS 500 single). All done with a junior hacksaw and file, with the spanner nailed to a log as a vice for the first cut, then heat-treated using the camp fire and possibly quenched in beer - happy days :)

The parts list states key "3 x 5 R=6,5". If that's any help. 3mm wide by 6mm long radius 6.5 mm?
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Ta. Very useful.

There is also the worry as to why this bike was laid up in the first place.

73? I think I was still riding a POS Tiger Cub. Awful thing.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

1973? Was still in shorts. What's an AJS? :)
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

go on. what's an AJS?
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

All
Junk &
Scrap ! :D
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Bah! Modern yoof. A.J.Stevens of Wolverhampton. You'll be telling me you've never heard of an AJS 7R 350, 500 'Porcupine' TT race bike or 250 2T (Villiers derived) Stormer 'scrambler' next ;) By the time I had one they were part of AMC (Associated Motor Cycles) with Matchless and Norton. Even you youngsters must know about Norton!
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

72degrees wrote:Bah! Modern yoof. A.J.Stevens of Wolverhampton. You'll be telling me you've never heard of an AJS 7R 350, 500 'Porcupine' TT race bike or 250 2T (Villiers derived) Stormer 'scrambler' next ;) By the time I had one they were part of AMC (Associated Motor Cycles) with Matchless and Norton. Even you youngsters must know about Norton!

I loved my Nortons. My last one was an Atlas. I balanced the crank, gas flowed the head and it was timed at 124MPH. Not bad for a 1964 bike. Very little vibration, after the work I did. Had to sell it because of money problems. Wish I still had it.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Papa Lazarou wrote: I loved my Nortons. My last one was an Atlas. I balanced the crank, gas flowed the head and it was timed at 124MPH. Not bad for a 1964 bike. Very little vibration, after the work I did. Had to sell it because of money problems. Wish I still had it.
An old mate of mine has a Matchless with the AMC 750 engine converted to 270 degree crank. All machined himself. Can't say I miss my 1962 650 31 CSR that much. The definition of vibration.
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

72degrees wrote:Bah! Modern yoof. A.J.Stevens of Wolverhampton. You'll be telling me you've never heard of an AJS 7R 350, 500 'Porcupine' TT race bike or 250 2T (Villiers derived) Stormer 'scrambler' next ;) By the time I had one they were part of AMC (Associated Motor Cycles) with Matchless and Norton. Even you youngsters must know about Norton!
Only kidding. The Model 8 I had when I was 18 was brilliant. It cruised all day at 50 and thumped out a glorious noise to boot.
8)

Post by MickeyMoto »

I prefer more modern makes like Triumph, Moto Guzzi MV Agusta and Morini against those old 1950s and 60s long gone manufacturers! :)
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

repeat post
Last edited by Papa Lazarou on 26 Apr 2017 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Lazarou

Post by Papa Lazarou »

Aaargh. The worn flat Woodruff key won't come out. The seller was well aware of this problem it appears-hence the slipping flywheel.

I've drilled it gently and tapped it with a drill (gently!). I've used WD40 on it. It needs heart.

So, I've removed all the bits back to the crank and now need to remove the cam belt-which is very, very tight.

I suppose I should just use valve paste on the end of the crank and lap the flywheel in tight.

The seller has not responded.