Broken oil ring?

The 3 1/2 forum
chirpy999

Broken oil ring?

Post by chirpy999 »

Hi went to go out on my Morini today and after setting off it just seemed so down on power. Went about 2 miles it just didn't feel right , no power and didn't want to rev,I decided to return home where it didn't want to tickover. Looking at the front exhaust pipe there was an oily residue and some on the alternator cover. I thought it might be due to an unsealed exhaust and blowby. Got my exhaust spanner out and tightened the front clamp which took a couple of turns. Restarted the bike and it needed throttle to start, checked that it was running on two by putting my hand behind both silencers.Set off again but still no power and not revving right only went about three miles then returned home and parked her .
Id last used her about a week ago and everything was fine.
What do you guys think?
72degrees

Re: Broken oil ring?

Post by 72degrees »

The main diagnostic of broken rings would be loads of clag coming out of the rocker and main crankcase breathers. To be fair, when I had that (when a rebore was done incorrectly) it didn't affect the running that much.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Just to be sure I'd check the plugs, then check the carbs especially with regard to possible blockages. Is it just oily or wet black stuff? Odd though.
Best of luck
John
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Hi just thining about this , and am wondering if I have a cracked exhaust pipe. Will take pipe off and inspect as soon as I can

Dave
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Sounds like it is running only on one cylinder,,,,,if there is a balance pipe in the exhaust it can fool you on feeling the exhaust pluses,,,

Touch the cylinder fins to see if both are at the same temperature..

Good luck finding the problem.

Robert in California
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Smotorboy you are correct. No spark on front cylinder. Looks like a NLM job

Thanks
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

You may test the transducers with a light bulb (video on youtube),or swap the entire plug leads. If it then turns out to be a transducer this is a simple bolt on and forget job,except for the financial aspect.it may be a pickup issue or a loose wire to the transducer.Only time I had a transducer fail it went all at once,not gradually.
Best of luck
John
Ming

Post by Ming »

... and if it is a transducer, the 125cc Vespa replacements seem to do the job for not too much dosh.
Like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMBRETTA-VES ... Sw2xRYSpoZ.
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Thanks for the information will look on youtube tonight and check the Ebay link , work blocks Ebay.

Dave