Very high tickover

The 3 1/2 forum
Zed1

Very high tickover

Post by Zed1 »

Hi I'm restoring a 350 Excalibur , which is now running :D but the tickover is V high no rev counter at the moment so not sure how high , cleaned carb's , set valves , slides seem to be fully down but can't get revs down , tried swapping carb's round but still reving high anyone know where I should look next ? Cheers
hendre

Re: Very high tickover

Post by hendre »

leaky carb rubbers/gaskets?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Zed1 wrote:Hi I'm restoring a 350 Excalibur , which is now running :D but the tickover is V high no rev counter at the moment so not sure how high , cleaned carb's , set valves , slides seem to be fully down but can't get revs down , tried swapping carb's round but still reving high anyone know where I should look next ? Cheers
What happens if you disconnect the throttle cables at the twistgrip?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Zed1- does your Excalibur have kokusan ignition (late type, pickups mounted on flywheel) or the old type Ducati ignition (pickup on camshaft)

If it's a late Excalibur with kokusan ignition then the kokusan bikes are prone to rev hangup, but it can be cured.

See the below thread over from the dart thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2285
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Slides back to front?
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

MickeyMoto wrote:Slides back to front?
Having the slides in back to front won't result in a 'fast' idle, it will result in it revving it's nuts off while you desperately grab for the ignition switch.

If the engine speed won't respond to the slide stops, then the prime candidates are too much ignition advance, or the slides hanging on the cables.

Although the step in the advance curve of the Kokusan ignition can cause the revs to 'hang', you can also get the opposite effect. You back the stops off to lower the idle, then fall off the curve and end up with a very low idle or a stall.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru