BPR7ES What happens if I use them?

The 3 1/2 forum
SoloFrenos

BPR7ES What happens if I use them?

Post by SoloFrenos »

Morning, having problems with bike dropping onto 1 cylinder, the only plugs I could get were the resister types (going to get new non resister ones asap) but in mean time will running resister types have any adverse effects?
FYI new plugs did not sort problem, swapping coils over today to see if problem swaps cylinders or if it the coils (FYI again they are the new NLM type).
Tony
72degrees

Re: BPR7ES What happens if I use them?

Post by 72degrees »

I've been running BPR7EIX in both mine (I know, I know "expensive snake oil") with no issues.
A coil swap will be very informative.
SoloFrenos

Post by SoloFrenos »

Ah thats good to know, no rush to replace them then. Just off into garage now to do swap so will report back.
Just out of interest and for possible future reference if coils OK, does anyone know if you can use the early type red pickup with the new NLM ignition box/coils?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

SoloFrenos wrote:Ah thats good to know, no rush to replace them then. Just off into garage now to do swap so will report back.
Just out of interest and for possible future reference if coils OK, does anyone know if you can use the early type red pickup with the new NLM ignition box/coils?
I'm using them with a 2nd generation red pickup on the 2C/375. I think they will work with any pickup.
SoloFrenos

Post by SoloFrenos »

Hmm great, swapped coils... And problems disappeared. Running beautifully on both cylinders!

And to top it all just lost an original early type side panel on my test ride....b*llocks
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Odd. The coils complete with the HT leads and plugs? Just swapped the coils, not also transferred the front pot connections to back?
Makes me wonder if it was just a bad low tension connection.

Bugger about the side panel. Those early steel ones are a bit like hen's teeth. :(
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Do you have resistor plug-caps too?
DD
MRC 3082½
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Daddy Dom wrote:Do you have resistor plug-caps too?
DD
Who me? On the recently upgraded ignition system (NLM module) on the project I definitely now have NGK 5K caps. Starts very easily. That has got "high voltage racing scooter coils" though. Not sure about the 375 as I put new caps on some years ago.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Yeah, I found resistor plugs and caps was just too much so have resistors nowhere in the chain now.
DD
MRC 3082½
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

How did it manifest itself - poor starting?

I have some non-resistor caps that came with the project bike. Fairly new NGK ones but 90 degree. They can be got on OK, though the rear pot requires a bit of a jiggle. Next time I'm at a hill climb I might try swapping them between runs and see if the find me a few tenths of a second on the 64ft time or a mile or two an hour through a speed trap.
mikeybizzle

Post by mikeybizzle »

I decided to do away with resistor plug caps and as NGK didn't do anything suitable I found what I needed from Vehicle Wiring Products .