Starter relay rebuild

The 3 1/2 forum
tobydmv

Starter relay rebuild

Post by tobydmv »

Anyone know what the gap should be between the contact points in the starter relay? I cleaned up some pitting on the faces and appears my gap is bigger than before. I think the only adjustment is to bend the armature back but was wondering if you guys have done this before and what the gap should be... Its a 1980 Strada w a Bosch relay.
Thx
Toby
harrymuffin

Re: Starter relay rebuild

Post by harrymuffin »

Cheaper and easier to buy a relay for a kawasaki or Guzzi or some other mass produced large capacity bike, they also have higher amperage capacity than the the ones fitted to Morinis. I got fed up with the points sticking together and now have reliable electric starting.
tobydmv

Re: Starter relay rebuild

Post by tobydmv »

Not sure thats easier for me since I dont know the amp rating, if anyone does please offer up. I set it back best as I could and went for a ride. The starter worked twice on the same ride so I guess i'm making progress. In researching the relay I believe the 70's bmw's had the same bosch relay. This might be a good replacement when the time comes https://www.waytekwire.com/item/75552/B ... wer-Relay/.