Ignition Module ID

The 3 1/2 forum
72degrees

Ignition Module ID

Post by 72degrees »

So after some ignition issues with the FE hill climber MkII I appear to have an interesting early version of the NLM system. A single cable group box that is marked LANGFANG KOKUSAN ELECTRIC COMPANY LTD. On the underside it has two blue rectangular components bearing the mark 'M103382239 654'. Anyone know what machine this is OEM ignition box for?

The later two cable group box is clearly one of NLM's own and seems not to work with the small 2 pin 'scooter coils' that this 'Kokusan' one uses to very good effect. It is nothing like the photos I have seen of the Kokusan box on the late 350s.

I've asked NLM to send coils compatible with their current module but I'd like to get hold of one of these Kokusan ones if possible as I can use smaller coils (useful on a 2C) and I would then definitely have a spare.

I'll post a photo later.
72degrees

Re: Ignition Module ID

Post by 72degrees »

OK, Chris at NLM says it is an early DIY one of theirs. Perhaps they reused a Kokusan case. Anyway, no replacement available other than the later type that uses larger coils. So all being well the pair that Rob is sending will suit it. Going to be a squeeze finding room for it all on a 2C, though if it works well I'll put that setup on the FE hill climb bike and keep the mystery one and mini coils on the road 2C/375.

The SWF system is sounding more and more interesting though.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Riiiiight :(

I'm convinced the two cable group NLM module is duff but a sanity check before I send it to them for testing.

I mounted the two approved coils (they look very like the XV250 ones recommended by Huub but at twice the price!)

Refused to run on the front cylinder at all. I swapped the connections to the coils (and the leads to the plugs) and it still wouldn't run on No 1. All earths are good though the frame where the new coils are mounted could probably do with any vestige of paint scraping off to be absolutely sure.

Hooked the OEM transducers and leads back up and it was fine using the second generation red pickup it has been running with since rebuilt.

I've had it running OK on two cylinders with the one cable group 'Kokusan' module and the Naraku coils. I suppose I should try that one with these new larger coils. To be honest I can't see how they can be functionally that different, They use a single pin connection and they earth through the mounting. The primary and secondary winding resistances are higher than the 2 pin mini coils but the ratio is much the same. I might try it but I'm losing patience and may just revert to OEM for Curborough.

Swapping the two cable group box on to the other bike (with 2 pin coils) transfers the problem.

So by my logic there has to be a problem with this particular module - anyone disagree?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The clincher. Hooked up the first 'Kokusan' module to the new coils on the project bike. Started first kick, revs eagerly and settled down to a very steady idle.

I'll be posting that two cable group module back to NLM for testing and hopefully a replacement.