Strada Prices Rise Rapidly

The 3 1/2 forum
MarkB

Strada Prices Rise Rapidly

Post by MarkB »

The latest RealClassic magazine, just out, has the first part of a big article about the Club Strada and I think it'll create a lot of interest in people who don't already know about the joys of a Strada. RealClassic is a subscription-only magazine but apparently it's being given away free with Classic Bike Guide this month, in Sainsburys at least. It's well worth subscribing to anyway.

I know there are some of us who want Morinis to remain an unknown secret so that prices don't go up to Ducati levels, but hey, that's reality...
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Re: Strada Prices Rise Rapidly

Post by 72degrees »

The Treasurer of my local section of the VMCC has recently acquired an electric start Strada. He is very taken with it other than a developing whine from the gearbox on the overrun. As to pushing up prices, my regular Ebay trawls suggest the cat is already out of the bag.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Not sure, but think we have a bubble which will burst. A lot of bikes advertised do not sell at inflated prices unless they are exceptional.

I hope prices do not go silly as the bikes then tend to be hidden away.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

When I got the chance to buy my early sports, I jumped. To me, these bikes look like the kind of item that will only go up in price.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:Not sure, but think we have a bubble which will burst. A lot of bikes advertised do not sell at inflated prices unless they are exceptional.

I hope prices do not go silly as the bikes then tend to be hidden away.
Indeed. A Gilera GFR 125 just sold on Ebay for £2395! "Perfect original condition", except it had been standing gently rusting in a shed for 7 years so the crankcase oil seals will have gone hard and the engine will need rebuilding if it is to be ridden! I took mine out in the rain last evening to the VMCC monthly meeting (for which it will be eligible next year at 25 years old). It may not be perfect, but it's a functioning motorcycle not an investment.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Ah, functioning motorcycle, not investment - a rare beast these days Pete, but someones' got to do it! Good for you, and long may we remain a Riders Club! :D :D

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

corsaro chris wrote:Ah, functioning motorcycle, not investment - a rare beast these days Pete, but someones' got to do it! Good for you, and long may we remain a Riders Club! :D :D
Quite.

I'll confess to thinking of acquiring something more in keeping with doing VMCC runs in company with things like a 1920's Nimbus or those weird Hall Green contraptions. An Italian lightweight (125 - 175) 4T single appeals - but given current values I suspect it would be a Gilera not a Morini. I might even consider one needing a fair degree of restoration - got to keep myself busy in the garage next winter now the "Forgotten Error" is more or less finished ;)
Ming

Post by Ming »

72degrees wrote:...I might even consider one needing a fair degree of restoration - got to keep myself busy in the garage next winter now the "Forgotten Error" is more or less finished ;)
Don't you have a spare 250 knocking about - or is that not old enough?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:
72degrees wrote:...I might even consider one needing a fair degree of restoration - got to keep myself busy in the garage next winter now the "Forgotten Error" is more or less finished ;)
Don't you have a spare 250 knocking about - or is that not old enough?
The 1980 2C/375 is certainly eligible and I did a 'ride a bike' night with them last month. Not quite 'challenging' enough somehow and I found it hard not to disappear in to the distance at 6000rpm plus, which is considered a bit anti-social ;) I've got another 250 frame/swing arm in the shed, but that's it.

Hmm. I was toying with the idea of acquiring one of Evgurus 125H machines. I'm also tempted by a Gilera 150 Arcore from the 70's but I fancy something of the same sort of age as my first bikes - but not British, because I've got rid of all my Imperial spanners and sockets ;)

To be fair, I could keep busy swapping the engine units/top ends on the Morinis to build a 350 with L5 cam. It would be interesting to see if the rebuilt engine was just as clattery with the 375 barrels and pistons. That would also have to be relied on to get me to the big rally next year though, so I'm not sure I'll do it (if it works, don't fix it). I also need to fettle the KTM250EXC to try and find a bit more top speed for the lad next season. Once he has finished at university he wants to have a proper try for the NHCA 250 championship. A larger bore carb, factory pipe and race 'muffler' are the plan.

I'll keep trawling Ebay and see what comes up though.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I've been done!!! On reading Marks original posting about the club Strada in Real Classic magazine, which I do not subscribe to due to finding Frank Whitworth's writing style irritating, I took Marks advice and found a large Sainsburys which indeed was giving away a copy of Real Classic along with Classic bike guide, which I duly bought only to find that the copy they were giving away was dated April, not blaming Mark in any way because he could not have known that, any more than I did when I handed over my £4.20 for a mag I didn't really want, hoping to read about Morini's. I shall have to wait until one of the shows where Frank and Rowena have a stand flogging back copies.
mgelder

Post by mgelder »

The April issue not only has a six page article about a Morini* but it also has a particularly fine story about an airhead BMW by some bloke called Martin Gelder. What more could a chap want, for heaven's sake?

(Single issues - including the current one - are available from the RealClassic website)

*Two of those pages are just pictures, mind.
Morini stuff on RealClassic.co.uk: http://www.realclassic.co.uk/profiles.html#morini
pedro

Post by pedro »

Martin,
Just trawled through it again and absolutely no mention of Morini's or for that matter BMW airheads in mine, that's probably because the free issue that came with Classic bike guide is April 2012, issue 96.
Cheers for the tip about the website though, I'll have a look.

P.S. I know that I'm in the minority in not being keen on the editorial style and fully accept that the problem is mine, but that's the way it is. You can't please everyone, and that's a fact.
P.P.S. I do enjoy your writing and also Dave Minton.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Pete; every kind of interaction we have, Morinis or magazines, seems to be fated!
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mark, I am most definitely not complaining, if you have a 501/350 hidden away somewhere I would be first in the queue, I had the best fun on your bike before it popped and will use the opportunity to get it going even better.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

pedro wrote: P.S. I know that I'm in the minority in not being keen on the editorial style and fully accept that the problem is mine, but that's the way it is. You can't please everyone, and that's a fact.
P.P.S. I do enjoy your writing and also Dave Minton.
We may be a minority but we are not alone! I let my subscription to Real Classic lapse a while ago, very similar feelings! We're obviously not doing them any harm though as they have plenty of followers. Which is nice.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.