Centre stand with two into one.

The 3 1/2 forum
pedro

Centre stand with two into one.

Post by pedro »

Has anybody successfully fitted a centre stand to a bike fitted with a two into one exhaust? I'm not entirely sure if it's a Ricky racer as I was told, it looks more like a Valentini to me. The problem is with the stand spring, the exhaust sits exactly in the place the spring should go, making it impossible to fit. I suppose it should be possible to weld a peg onto the other leg of the stand and rig something up on the frame, I just wondered if anybody has come across this before, and what did they do?
harrymuffin

Re: Centre stand with two into one.

Post by harrymuffin »

Both of my bikes have 2-1s and the centre stands work without hindrance. One is a 500 and the other has a 350 frame and both have rear sets fitted. The spring should be fitted to a 'ring pull' which fits on the peg as on the side stand, well that is what I have got anyway.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Sorry Harry, not quite with you, as standard, the spring would fit from a peg on the stand to a peg on the frame, similarity on the side stand.
However in this instance the exhaust blocks the line between the two pegs, do you mean that with your exhaust this line is not blocked? Or that you have fixed your "ring pull" to the stand pivot through bolt?
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

The centre stand spring is not compromised on either bike. The 500 exhaust is a WeeVee system and the one fitted to the 350/507 is I think a Ricky Racer one(it came with a lot of Benjy Straw spares so could be another one of his), the front pipe tucks in under the engine before joining up with the rear one. The standard 500 is as fitted in the 1980s and the rear pipe is well forward of the stand bracketry. If it is too far back then you could consider reducing the length of the straight bit where it comes out of the head which would move the semi bend under the engine forward. You would have to remake the flange on the end of the pipe either by brazing on a ring or using a clamp with the hole radiused so you can gently peen over to produce the flange. I have two of these one for the small pipes and one for the 500s. If you think this may be a solution then you can borrow a clamp to form a new flange. There would be a short section of pipe so you can see how it is done with the clamp. Incidentally, the WeeVee pipe on the rear pot has developed fractures twice under the hut for which this tool has been most useful, it effectively moved the pipe slightly forward each time I repaired it, but there is plenty of pipe that goes into the 'Y" piece on the silencer which is moved out or forward as the pipe is re fitted.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks Harry, interesting, I am pretty sure that my pipes are Valentini, I will do a bit more crawling about and see what I can come up with.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I have seen the solution of changing the side of the spring, as you told in the first posting.
I once had to put a 2in1 on my very first Tremezzo in the beginning of the 80s, because the Lafranconis were rotten an the 2in1 was much cheaper. than new silencers. Surely it was not a Valentini and I could stay with the original center stand.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bodging has taken place, I now have the spring on the other side and a fully functioning stand.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

pedro wrote:Bodging has taken place, I now have the spring on the other side and a fully functioning stand.
Excellent. In the best traditions of the Morini *Riders* Club.