Sidestand spring?

The 3 1/2 forum
Quello Serio

Sidestand spring?

Post by Quello Serio »

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct spring for a sidestand? And if so, is there some trick to putting it in place? Its 10cm unstretched, and I'd have to stretch it by about 4cm to mount it, which is really difficult.
Attachments
2017-09-14 20.03.13.jpg
2017-09-14 20.03.13.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 11088 times
pedro

Re: Sidestand spring?

Post by pedro »

I always use a largish crosshead screwdriver, fix one end of the spring in place, put the screwdriver through the other end and over the peg, then lever the spring down and it should pop into place.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Quello Serio wrote:
and I'd have to stretch it by about 4cm to mount it, which is really difficult.
...and a good job too. Better that than have a floppy stand. Persevere using Pedro's method and it will pop on and you'll be nice and safe!
penman

Post by penman »

For what it's worth, I remove the pivot bolt from the stand, hook the spring on, then using the stand itself as a lever, jiggle the mounting holes back into line. I find this is easier than trying to extend that very stiff spring by any other means. Good luck with it, and elastoplast on standby!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio »

Does your pivot bolt extend out far? Mine has a threadless end which gets in the way of the spring; the spring has to bend around it, which may be the intention?
penman

Post by penman »

That little extension to the bolt makes it a "suicide stand", which flips up if the weight of the bike isn't on it. I hate them, a pain in the neck as far as I'm concerned! Either fit a shorter, normal bolt or cut that bit off would be my advice, but others may disagree!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

The bolt for the side stand should be shouldered with the stand pivoting on the shoulder. The spring is attached to the stand onto a peg the other end is attached to a steel clip which looks similar to a ring pull or a half a Ying/Yang shape. If you have this clip and the shouldered bolt then it is possible without too much exertion to, with the spring attached to both ends and with the stand in the stowed position, to just get the bolt to start into the larger shouldered hole and then be able to thread the bolt into the thread of the frame. Yours has probably been mangled by a previous owner who lost the clip or did not work out how it should go. Have a look in the parts catalogue where you can see the blown apart components.
Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio »

Thanks for all the replies.

The clip description makes sense, but I have no clip, nor do I see one in the catalogue. I'll try Pedro's lever method, and I'll ask about the clip next time I'm ordering from NLM.
Attachments
Sidestand.PNG
Sidestand.PNG (106.8 KiB) Viewed 11036 times
norbert

Post by norbert »

You find this clip, well not the clip but how it is on Andis web. There are a lot of interesting downloads :wink:
Scroll down to "Blech für Feder Seitenständer" and then have the right istrument to open it :roll:

Here in germany the Tüv insists that the side stand is coming up automaticly when lifting the bike. Or a switch that stops the motor putting in a gear with the stand still "open". I hatet it, when I had to install it like that. Can be dangerous if you are parking ofroad, but you can get used to it.

ciao
norbert
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I always use the same method as Penman,I find it quite a easy way to keep the spring, side stand and bolt all in place with out everything flying about the workshop.
Regards Pete.
Quello Serio

Post by Quello Serio »

Sidestand back on now, I used a belt and ratchet around the centre stand to stretch it. I won't be taking it off again in hurry.