Strada electrical problems

The 3 1/2 forum
acemorini

Strada electrical problems

Post by acemorini »

Hello all,
it must be winter, went into the shed today to Finnish off my 81 Strada, reconnected the battery switched it on the wrong way so the parking lights come on ? Pop fuse blows, replace the fuse turn the key the right way to start the bike, bike starts and runs, turn the lights on only the headlamp comes on, no back lights or the little pilot light in the headlamp, the brake light work, turned the bike off by the key, turn the key back to the parking light position pop goes the fuse.
The fuse that blows is the one on the right hand side of the fuse board fed by the yellow and black wire from pole pole 6 on the ignition switch.
My question is would a faulty ignition switch cause all the other problems I have described ?
Regards Pete.
Steve Brown

Re: Strada electrical problems

Post by Steve Brown »

Isn't that just one problem? i.e. the tail/pilot lamp circuit is shorted and the fuse is protecting them? It could be in the switch maybe, but I'd look at the wiring first.
A useful trick is to wire up a little test lamp or a buzzer across the connectors for the fuse that blows, then switch that circuit on. The test bulb will light and you can wiggle wires or connectors till the fault shows up. It saves you fuses and is enough of a load to stop wiring burning out. Hope that helps/makes sense!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
acemorini

Re: Strada electrical problems

Post by acemorini »

I have retired the back lights last year as I had a short in the wiring, good tip on the bulb / buzzer I will give that a go before I order a new switch.
Regards Pete.