Another world record at Bonneville for a Moto Morini3 1/2.

The 3 1/2 forum
P&S

Another world record at Bonneville for a Moto Morini3 1/2.

Post by P&S »

Roberto Lombardi, a government employee from Fara Sabina, a little village on the hills northeast of Rome and member of Moto Morini Club Roma, has set a new record at Bonneville speed trials 2017
He fulfilled the dream of a lifetime, and he did it all by himself.
https://www.facebook.com/GenettiRacing/ ... ater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1
http://www.facebook.com/groups/1899443900270981/
Despite success at his first attempt “one shot one kill” he was not satisfied knowing his 3 1/2 is much faster than that.
But as he later said “Il sale è una brutta bestia” "Salt is a bad beast."
He will try again next year.
Daddy Dom

Re: Another world record at Bonneville for a Moto Morini3 1/

Post by Daddy Dom »

Great news, congrats!
MRC 3082½
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Well Done !

( from someone who has been there and knows just what a difficult effort it is to run at Bonneville)

Robert
Red Baron Race Team
P&S

Post by P&S »

Hi Robert, I read about your performances. You seem to be riding the world fastest 3 1/2!!I My congratulations. It's something that makes any Moto Morini fan proud of! 8)
Alvays wondered how it feels running on salt. Bonneville salt flats are definitely very large and
flat, but surface doesn’t seem ideal to develop speed.
It mast be also very variable due to hyroscopic mature of salt.
Can you give us an idea?
Some other questions:
Is El Mirage any better?
Do you have any speed contests on hard surfaces (maybe airports)?
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Thank You P&S,

Very nice compliment and very good questions you raise...

My thoughts on the American land speed race courses:

1- Bonneville: large without uphill or downhill. In fact, you can see the curve of the earth it is so generally level.
However, it is nowhere near smooth and hard.... In places, there are holes, ripples, soggy patches, harder dryer places, etc.
Cars and bikes without suspension on both ends of the vehicles are subjected to damaging violence from the course. Bent and broken
chassis members are common...A friend in a streamliner m/c sidecar had his helmet turn sideways on his head this year, from the course pounding, and had to pull the chute and
hope for the best as he slowed down completely blind... Not much fun...

Why ? 65+ years of strip mining have leeched away the salt and minerals till now there is only an 1nch or so of soft salt covering a rough uneven mud flat....

2-El Mirage: 2.3 mile course on a dirt/dust desert lakebed... 1.3 miles of good smooth hard high speed course with 1 mile of "shutdown course" that is rougher and with occasional potholes that can get
a bike airborne (Morini handled one at 80 mph very well thank goodness). The course can be a bit dangerous for motorcycles as you approach the finish line . As the
day goes on, the powerful cars create "Ruts" in the surface from wheelspin that can grab a front tire and steer a bike into following the curving rut....This is to be avoided ....

3- Airport Runways: Standing Mile courses that are smooth, clean, and easy to make multiple runs on. Some airports have too short shutdown lengths and require excellent brakes. Long runways are no
issue at all... Danger always looms on these runways if there are crosswinds... a sudden strong gust can push you off the runway as they are very narrow compared to the lakebed courses. Death or
very serious injury usually results. I do not ride on runways if there are crosswinds,,no exceptions. My Morini holds records at the "Colorado Mile" and at the "Mojave Mile" runway courses. I like them
overall.

4- Common issues at all LSR courses: High temperatures and high elevation above sea level reduces horsepower 15 to 25% from normal ...Hard to go fast with less power than you are use to at home.
Greatest danger is having a tire go flat due to hitting things that have fallen off other race vehicles...This doesn't happen often,,, but it does happen and the results are not pretty...

I hope all this gives some insight into our sport,
Robert in California
P&S

Post by P&S »

Thank you for the answers.
So each spot has some limit and the ideal spot does not exist.
Airport runaways seem to be faster anyway.
Last question: what is your highest speed ever With the Red Baron?
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

The Red Baron was clocked at 123.6 mph at the November 2016 El Mirage Race and this is the fastest official speed recorded to date.

It clocked 115 mph in the standing mile at both runway races. However, I've seen 120+ in the standing mile since then with the new camshaft in the motor.

Next year I'm thinking of competing for the SCTA motorcycle championship.... Long story short, it would mean that I'd have to break the existing record for the class the bike is configured for every time the bike runs in all six events next season. Not real easy as one bad weekend and your attempt is kaput... THe Morini has the speed to do it I'm pretty sure...It will be fun to try..

Robert
norbert

Post by norbert »

Good luck Robert!!! :D

if it is fun, try it :wink:

norbert
P&S

Post by P&S »

Hi Robert, there is no other way for me to wish you to succeed than in my mother language:
Robbè, sei tutti noi, daje er gas!!! :D