Presentation and electrical wiring doubt

The 3 1/2 forum
josbernar

Presentation and electrical wiring doubt

Post by josbernar »

Hello guys,

My name is Jose. I am Spanish morinista. My brother and I are restoring a 1974 tree e mezzo. (attached a pic)

we are about to finish such an adventure, but kinda stuck in the electrical wiring (I think a very easy task), let me explain:
We bought a 6 pole electrical wiring set from ebay. very nice prepared. now, my question is, in the 6 pole wiring type, rectifier is not connected to ground as schematics (schematics of 6 pole wiring that I have found) show (where in the 5 pole wiring it is connected to ground).
is there any other advice concerning electrical wiring that you, gods of wisdom of tree e mezzo universe, might be thinking about?

Have a nice (and safe) ride
Jose

PS: please excuse any error of my english
Attachments
(squared light is not going to be there, I promise!! classical one has been already bought)
(squared light is not going to be there, I promise!! classical one has been already bought)
moto.jpg (458.39 KiB) Viewed 6964 times
penman

Re: Presentation and electrical wiring doubt

Post by penman »

Hi Jose,

I am not sure that I understand your question, but on the Morini, there is a centre-tapped alternator stator. I know it sounds unusual, but the centre tap (red) connects to the battery and the two other wires (yellow) go to the rectifier/regulator. The other connection on the regulator goes to ground. The regulation is on the negative side of the supply. The regulator also has a connection (red if I remember rightly) to the fuse box, where it connects to a switched battery supply.

I hope that helps you, but if not, do get back to me. Good luck with it!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
josbernar

Post by josbernar »

thanks a lot for your answer. Very much appreciated.

I know my english is not as good as it should be, I am sorry for that,
Your explanation is very useful.
What made me confuse on the rectifier connections are the wiring diagrams (find attached below). As you guys can see, in the "6 pole wiring diagram" (the one on the left hand side of the picture), rectifier is not represented to be connected to ground, on the contrary, on the 5 pole (on the right) it is painted to be connected to ground (the arrow to ground tells me that).

Thanks anyway to your answer, again I really appreciate it
Attachments
6 pole (left) and 5 pole (right) ignition switch wiring diagram
6 pole (left) and 5 pole (right) ignition switch wiring diagram
5 vs 6 pole ignition switch.jpg (311.28 KiB) Viewed 6811 times
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hola Jose,

I think the rectifier is always grounded to the chasis by the srews that fix it to the frame. The brown cable goes to the main switch and gives the reference of 12 V to the regulator/rectifier. If the batterie is real down the regulator does not work.

Do you know the spanish forum "Lamaneta"? We do have a Morini subforum over there. Ultimamente esta un poco dormido, pero es cosa nuestra de devolverle un poco de vida. Antes la gente era bastante mas activa. In 2018 will take place la 10. Morinada! If you are interested have a look at it: http://www.lamaneta.org/forolamaneta/index.php We also have a "lista de morineros" http://www.lamaneta.org/forolamaneta/vi ... =70&t=4256 Si te apuntas, Xenca te mandará la lista con los datos de contacto del tribu, igual tienes a uno cerca :wink: Es aconsejable presentarte primero en el foro general y entonces: para cualquier duda tienes el subforo morinero. De donde eres?

Anyhow your english seems to be much better than mine :wink:

saludos
norbert

Vaya, ahora me he dado cuenta de que preguntaste lo mismo en el foro español (se me ha escapado). Para cosas de electronica te recomiendo preguntar directamente a "Tiopencho", el entiende de estas cosas, yo mas bien nada :oops:
josbernar

Post by josbernar »

Thanks a lot norbert!!

As you saw, I did already ask for the same question in Lamaneta. Hope Lamaneta come back from the shadows.

Back to the diagram, I assume that the 6 pole is not correctly described then,

anyway, muchas gracias norbert!!! you are a master

Jose

PS: I hope I can be there in the 10th morinada
josbernar

Post by josbernar »

for those who are interested in electrical-electronic problems:

We keep with the restoration of our morini.
We managed to follow the wiring diagram we had posted before in this post.
we have the handlebar switch like in the image below,
however, we suspected there was a mistake in the image of the 6 pole ignition switch I had posted some weeks ago, because weird results were obtained.
if you guys follow the wiring original diagram posted some time ago by @ julianharty , http://www.rigacci.org/rec/moto/userman ... wiring.gif , they have different color code in the connection of the handlebar switch. When we used the black&white version from julian, it looked like it was working,

however, a very strange thing happened (more investigation is needed but...) the reading of voltage between the poles of the battery when the morini was running was 0.5 Volts,... XS

when, battery was disconnected from the morini, readings of the voltage started to grow from nearly 5V to 10V. bad connections????
it has to be pointed out that the battery is almost dead, but for you guys who know about electronic, doesnt it look like there is a leak in the connections?

to be continued :)

cheers!!!
Attachments
cev 206 commutatore.jpg
cev 206 commutatore.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 6629 times