Left side shift

The 3 1/2 forum
Blue Morini USA

Left side shift

Post by Blue Morini USA »

Hello all, I am refurbishing a 75 Strada and plan to have it on the road for Spring. I have read that some bikes were sold with a left side shift conversion. If this is true, does anyone know where I can source the parts to convert my Strada ? Is this a realistic thing to do ?
I've ridden for 30 years and own four other bikes but have never shifted on the right. I'm sure I can master the right side shift with a little concentration but I'm afraid that in a panic situation my reactions would have me hit the wrong pedal. I'd feel much safer shifting on the left.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Rick
Mepstein

Re: Left side shift

Post by Mepstein »

I bet NLM has the correct parts.
P&S

Post by P&S »

Hi Blue Morini,
This was the conversion setup made on 3 1/2 exported to the states (I wonder why your's doesn't have it)

These are parts of an earlier original conversion ('73-'74)

This is a custom conversion:

details of other custom conversions:

You can get some of the parts you need from a K2 or from a Kanguro
penman

Post by penman »

Hi Rick,
I do sympathise, I well remember the trauma of trying to adapt to a L/H gearchange all those years ago. If you try to change down with the brake pedal it’s quite scary! All the same, I would recommend persevering with it, you’ll find you can quite easily switch between the two and it’s a useful extra skill. My 500 Morini has a R/H change which is a really pleasant gearchange, but my K2, a US import to the UK has a L/H change and it’s not so nice, I suspect it has lost something in the conversion. Similarly my T150 Triumph (R/H change) is fine, but my T160, same gearbox but L/H change is “OK” at best.

The one issue I have is that whichever bike I’m on, setting off from rest I always seem to pick up the wrong foot to go into first gear. Maddening, but it seems to be OK once I’m moving! Maybe thinking about it is the mistake!

Good luck with the refurbishing!

Joe.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65
1969 Honda CB450
1975 Triumph T160 Trident
2019 BMW F750GS Sport
1978 Morini 500
Ming

Post by Ming »

penman wrote:...I would recommend persevering with it, you’ll find you can quite easily switch between the two and it’s a useful extra skill...
Good luck with the refurbishing!
Joe.
I agree, but if it's any help, I think I have a spare LH gear and RH brake pedal.
Blue Morini USA

Thanks for the reply. I'd be very interested to purchase the parts to convert to left side shift. If anyone can help
just let me know what you need for parts and postage to USA.

I'm sure I could learn to right shift but I'll only ride the Morini once in a while so it would always be an effort.
pikl

Post by pikl »

I have made my own conversion a few years ago, when I was working on my 77' 350.

The whole thing is a bolt-on conversion, and the axle is bolted on the bottom engine mount. The only modification to the stock parts is that I've welded a straight tube on the footrests. The brake and shift levers pivot on them, on brass bushings. It all works quite well.
I will take some better photos later (on this photo, the brake was not yet connected).
Blue Morini USA

Thanks, I'd like to see more of your conversion. The picture you posted is cropped and I only see the front wheel.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Blue Morini USA wrote:Thanks, I'd like to see more of your conversion. The picture you posted is cropped and I only see the front wheel.
Save the picture to your computer (in a place that you can find it easily - I have a file of pictures of other peoples' Morini...) and download it. You can then admire the bike and its' features at leisure!

Happy New Year,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
pikl

Post by pikl »

I do not know why the picture got cropped. I have found another (more recent) photo (with original Lafranconi exhausts and a brand new Grimeca disc, and the shift linkage and brake components were fully fabricated). I have resized it, so hopefully the forum will show a whole photo.

I hope I will remember to take some better (closer) photos of the linkage in the morning. The bike is in the garage for a few years now, and I only start it and take it on a shorter ride once or twice per year (and I guess I should replace the belt). Apart from that conversion (and the clutch cover, it was damaged, so I made it like that, although I have a good original too), it is all stock (even the paint). I really like it, and do not want to ruin anything, so I rather also got an early Kanguro that I register and ride more. Perhaps if I once find a cheap pair of strada or sport spoke wheels, I would replace them (and I think some very early 77' models might even had them originally any way).
texaskitty

Post by texaskitty »

That's a very nice bike. I think the grey-finished mag wheels go well with the silver tank and side panels, the chrome and the polished and cast aluminium.
pikl

Post by pikl »

I think the grey-finished mag wheels go well with the silver tank and side panels, the chrome and the polished and cast aluminium.
Well, the chances of me finding nice spoked Morini wheels in good condition for little money are slim any way. At least, if I do find them, I will definitely not sell them...

Big photos get cropped if I post them here, so I posted the "album" here:
https://imgur.com/a/FGtkg

I hope it is helpful to someone. I was surprised the bike is so greasy underneath, I am certain I must have spilled some oil when replacing it. Overall, I think a lot of people would do a far worse job, and I had almost no design to base it on. I do not like the stock Morini solution, as they used multiple axles and brackets that need welding. The way they did it on the Kanguro is much better, but that frame was designed for it...
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I'm sure I could learn to right shift but I'll only ride the Morini once in a while so it would always be an effort.
I have been thinking about this over the holidays and I say, go ahead and try mastering the difference anyway.
We Morinisti are all aging. As we try and simplify the use of our motor-skills (pardon the pun) our brain-muscle capabilities diminish. A great way to practice is by going through the new procedure a few times a day while sitting on a kitchen stool.

So, use it or lose it - keep your brain agile!
DD ;)
MRC 3082½