Debating about a K2 for sale in the USA.

The 3 1/2 forum
Tanshanomi

Debating about a K2 for sale in the USA.

Post by Tanshanomi »

I found this advertised on Craigslist. Hasn't run in a decade, 20K miles on the clock, repainted, missing side covers, looks a bit of a shamble.
$3500 is about as cheap as they ever are over here and they don't come up for sale very often. I do want a Morini of my own, but I foresee this one as potentially having a tremendous down-side.
Oh, and it's located an 8+ hour drive away from me.
Truly wrestling with whether to contact the guy.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 57849.html

Last edited by Tanshanomi on 22 Feb 2018 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
MickeyMoto

Re: Debating about a K2 for sale in the USA.

Post by MickeyMoto »

Interestingly, it has the Euro screen. The US ones had a decent half fairing. Also, the mixture screws are 'available'. I thought these were covered for the US market?

Sounds a lot of money, but if mostly there should be an easy restoration. Needs an airbox too.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

My advice is that a cheap bike needing some fixing up usually ends up costing more than the better bike that cost a bit more.
DD
MRC 3082½
Tanshanomi

Post by Tanshanomi »

MickeyMoto wrote:the mixture screws are 'available'. I thought these were covered for the US market?
Can't say for sure about this bike, but since the introduction of emissions regulations nearly all US-market bikes had the mixture screws capped with brass plugs from the factory. But a small drill bit and a sheet-metal screw is all it takes to pop them out, and I would guess that the majority of carb'd bikes in the USA have had that little bit of surgery done.
huub

Post by huub »

actually a nice bike , the K2 should have nicasyl cylinders , so the engine is unlikely to be stuck.
this one has aftermarket rearsets, which really helps the seating arrangement
if you feel like owning a morini , make the guy a offer what it is worth to you,
if he refuses , problem solved.
if you can buy it at your price , even better ,
any 30 year ol bike will need some work ,
once well maintained a morini is worth the hassle
danomar

Post by danomar »

You probably would be better off waiting until a nicer K2 shows up. This example appears to be mostly okay, but it also reeks of many small instances of neglect. A more expensive but nicer K2 will be less expensive (and aggravating) in the long run.

If you could get it for $2500, then it might be worthwhile. Maybe.
Vrrooom!
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

MickeyMoto wrote:Interestingly, it has the Euro screen. The US ones had a decent half fairing.
Not all of the US market K2s had the half fairing, mine didn't originally. "Early" K2s had the quarter fairing, "late" ones the half.
huub wrote:this one has aftermarket rearsets, which really helps the seating arrangement
Those are the factory K2 peg holders and pegs. Looks like the rear brake pedal is missing in the photo - hopefully that's included.

The bike in question seems over-priced by $1000 to me.
Tanshanomi

Post by Tanshanomi »

There was a 2C on Ebay that I was really tempted to bid on, but it was a bit far away. It ended up going for $2500; given the condition I wouldn't have bid that high anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173206827862