Starter arms

The 3 1/2 forum
mikeybizzle

Starter arms

Post by mikeybizzle »

Opinions and advice please ...
I have been trying to decide which way to go regarding my sport starter new arms from NLM or get the others relined .
NLM have told me the new arms are better than the old ones but being an old cynic........
Looking forward to some comments :wink:
Last edited by mikeybizzle on 11 Apr 2018 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
harrymuffin

Re: Starter arms

Post by harrymuffin »

Reline, much cheaper. Find a brake shoe relining firm and get them to stick about 3/16" on, had some done last year for £25, then you have to chamfer the lining to fit into the drum using the carrier temporarily removed from the cover. The later ones have steel weights embeded in the arm to increase the centrifugal force. I modified mine on a K2 before I found out Morini were doing it. I think I used 1/2" plugs and managed to get two in each arm which were loctited in and the alloy peened over. Couldn't tell the difference in performance.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I fitted the later ones and found it to be much better with less clanking noises.I just couldn't be bothered to get the old set relined,though as I still have them it could still happen.I fitted a new chain as well as the old one was very worn.
John
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Your original ones probably clanked because the pivot holes were oval, not difficult to rebush. Chain is a standard size and considerably cheaper if bought from a bearing stockists. No idea how much NLM charge for new shoes but I expect the are expensive.
mikeybizzle

Post by mikeybizzle »

Thanks for the replies :D .
Call me a skinflint but the prices quoted plus carriage and vat by NLM seemed high , I know we are a bit of a captive market but ......
As the bike is not used that often and always kick started unless hot and stalled in traffic I think re-lining and weighting the arms is the way to go for me .
Another job for another day the joys of being retired , sometimes I wonder where I managed to find the time to go to work :D .