Mayonnaise

The 3 1/2 forum
3potjohn

Mayonnaise

Post by 3potjohn »

I know this has been discussed some while ago however......
My K1 has a tendency to produce water vapour which then turns to mayonnaise,coming mainly via the rocker breathers, though I can see condensation droplets in the main crankcase breather.So I changed the oil and I can see a couple of drops of water.I have replaced the oil then thrashed the bike for at least 30 miles or so up to Okehampton and round to Tiverton and back. I then can still see suspicious evidence of water forming in the breathers.I removed the rear rocker cover and briefly ran the motor.Could not see anything untoward.Clearances are 10mm. I replaced the cover. Next I ran the engine with both breather tubes off. Putting my finger near the vent on the front rocker cover I can feel nothing or a very minimal draught. When I repeat over the rear vent I can feel appreciable draught.So I am guessing this indicates engine pressure getting through on the rear cylinder. The bike has always done this and is since 2016 sporting new pistons and rings and the bores were honed. It uses no oil nor can I see evidence of anything coming out of the silencers with the throttle closed coming down Telegraph Hill.
I will do the obvious and swap the rocker covers in the first instance. I assume this is water from combustion. I am avoiding sub 10 mile runs.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated, short of riding around Cordoba or Jaen in July.
MickeyMoto

Re: Mayonnaise

Post by MickeyMoto »

Rocker clearances 10mm. Surely you can hear the rattling above the wind noise? :)
smotorboy

Post by smotorboy »

Oil temps have to reach 160 to 165 degrees F and stay there for 10-15 minutes in order to "cook" off the moisture in the oil from condensation (high humidity) and from blowby....

Infrared thermometer used on the oil sump after a ride will tell the tale.....

Carbon staining of the piston skirts show blowby next time the cylinders are lifted up....

Full synthetic oils are somewhat less prone to this....

Robert in California
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I am glad you spotted that we don't have things as tight down here...I am blaming the feeler gauge which is marked "10".
I'll see if I can rustle up a thermometer, I think I have one electronic one that can dip into the oil somewhere, I think it's upper limit is above 100 C. Just don't come round for marmalade anytime soon......
John
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

this happend on mine , drips out of the rocker breathers after a run short or long , got fed up looking at it so just ignored it , then it stopped doing it , front pot more so prob because its in the air stream and cools more than the back a certain amount of water or mouisture is not uncommon , i use the cheapest of oils but change more frequent, and i do thrash the bike with no probs, there old like me, and weep a bit . tuto gas, mad muller.