Question on wheel build

The 3 1/2 forum
Mepstein

Question on wheel build

Post by Mepstein »

Is the rear wheel dished or does the rim run down the middle of the hub.

I stupidly took my wheel apart before checking.
texaskitty

Re: Question on wheel build

Post by texaskitty »

Before I dismantled my 75 Sport rear wheel (Borrani rim, of course) I made one note. The wheel is still in pieces but I have set up the hub and rim on their sides on a flat surface, correctly placed - as well as I could do - in relation to each other to simulate an assembled wheel. The cush drive side of the hub is up; the brake side of the hub is down. With a straight edge sitting across the rim, next to the hub, I would say the outside edge of the hub is about 16 mm further out than the side of the rim. I would say the wheel is not dished; the cush drive side of the hub is just going to stick out more than the brake side.

I would suggest a trial assembly of the wheel, then put it in the swing arm and see how it looks.

Take into account that my measurement is not going to be absolutely precise; there are variables like the straightness of my rim - and I have never assembled a wheel.
Mepstein

Re: Question on wheel build

Post by Mepstein »

It sounds like the wheel is dished if one side sticks out further but the rim is centered. I’ll borrow a dishing tool, fit the brake and sprocket and check.

I got the front rim true within 1mm. The rear rim should be close to that when done.
Attachments
F62DB3AB-B575-4B40-A60C-37AED4969487.jpeg
F62DB3AB-B575-4B40-A60C-37AED4969487.jpeg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 3199 times