Electronic Fuel Tap repairs

The 3 1/2 forum
simonnorthroad

Electronic Fuel Tap repairs

Post by simonnorthroad »

I today sorted out FOUR non-working Orlandi electronic fuel taps. 3 click but dont open, one doesnt even do that.

Is there something that 'usually' goes wrong with them? Are they easly repaired? Ive done a search on here, and surprisingly cant find any thread about tap repairs. Surprising because most Morinis Ive ever owned have had non-working taps
julianharty

Re: Electronic Fuel Tap repairs

Post by julianharty »

I must admit I simply replaced the electric taps with standard taps that have a reserve. That gives me two taps that both have main and reserves for not much money. If I ever find my old electric tap somewhere I'll test it and see if it works, however I think I may have donated it to NLM when I replaced it with a mechanical tap about a decade ago.

If we ever meet in person (e.g. in June or at the track day) I'd be willing to look at the taps and see if there's a way to repair them so they function.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

They can be dismantled completely and the usual problem is the 'bolt' that when off closes a rubber diaphragm and when on is pulled back from the diaphragm and allows fuel to flow. If it is clicking then the 'bolt' is pulling off but the rubber diaphragm, if not used for sometime, sticks to the double annular rings of the tap. You are better off in doing away with the electric taps as they do not flow enough fuel when hammering on; I have been caught out a couple of times when the engine goes dead thinking it has blown a piston. They are fine if you poodle as you do on your hybrid round bath cruising, but hopeless if doing the Welsh run up the A470.
To dismantle then undo the nut on the electrical bit away from the fuel end with the aluminium tags which will allow the electric bit to be inspected and the 19mm nut to remove from the electrical bit from the tap itself. The fuel bit can be inspected and cleaned and the coil can be electrical tested and see how the 'bolt' is functioning
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

cheers chap.
A job for a wet day in the cellar I think.