Failed stator coil?

The 3 1/2 forum
AntietamClassicCycle

Failed stator coil?

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I went out for a ride on the K2 yesterday. Very hot day. Bike ran great at first, stopped for a late breakfast and bike was very hard to restart. It usually fires up if I just look at the starter button (almost :wink: ). Got progressively worse over the next few hours until it was only running on the rear cylinder 90% of the time. :( I managed to limp it back to within "rescue distance" and brought it home in my van the rest of the way.

Spark to the rear cylinder is just barely adequate, front lead held 2 mm away from the rocker cover will spark, any farther away and it won't, not enough power to fire a plug. Initial testing this morning reveals that the stator coil only has 153.3 ohms resistance vs. the 300 ohms the manual calls for. Guess it just doesn't have enough output to fire both transducers adequately.
3potjohn

Re: Failed stator coil?

Post by 3potjohn »

When I first got my 350 it ran OK but was difficult to start. I measured about 170 ohms on the green wire. I had a rewind and this made starting a straightforward affair.
I got more like around 280 ohms post rewind. I think the overall state of the ignition system has a cumulative effect. So some bikes may run better than others for a given resistance on the coil. There's some ignition testing videos on youtube.
Good luck sorting it.
Ming

Re: Failed stator coil?

Post by Ming »

I rewound a low resistance coil on a Kanguro about 10 years ago - needed kicking to exhaustion to start, or a roll downhill!.
It was pretty easy, if a bit monotonous. Have a look here http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/rewindignitioncoil.html