Batteries and Bulbs

The 3 1/2 forum
tankstraddler

Batteries and Bulbs

Post by tankstraddler »

After three long runs at the weekend on the Strada (600 miles with some long stretches at 60-70 mph) with lights on for a short period I noticed that all filaments in use (dip, speedo, stop and tail) had blown and the horn did not work either. Battery fluid level was unchanged but voltage was down to 10v. The battery would not take a charge on the bench: the charger registered no current flow although I checked and there was continuity between the battery terminals. I checked the charger on other batteries in case it was faulty but it was fine. I fitted a new battery, changed the bulbs and all is back to normal. On the face of it something happened to damage the battery and blow the bulbs; any ideas?
Daddy Dom

Re: Batteries and Bulbs

Post by Daddy Dom »

Have a look at the fuse box. Possibly something wiggly has touched something it shouldn't have and sparks have flown?
MRC 3082½
72degrees

Re: Batteries and Bulbs

Post by 72degrees »

Might be worth checking what voltage you get across the battery when the engine is running at decent rpm just in case the regulator got over excited. About 13 volts would be good. Much more than that and it might have fried things.

A short circuit or bad earth are more likely, though you might expect a really bad short to also have blown a fuse.