Front brake switch

The 3 1/2 forum
70sbikes

Front brake switch

Post by 70sbikes »

Hello all,

One of the things that has always bugged me about my 1976 3 1/2 Sport is the lack of a brake light switch on the Grimeca front brake.

I installed a hydraulic switch, but it failed. I tried another one, and it failed. So, I decided the only option was to replace the Grimeca with a modern set-up.

I ordered this from eBay, for $25.00 AUD plus $2.50 AUD GST:

It's listed for a Honda CM450. I liked three things about it. It has an angled master cylinder, it has a mirror thread, and it has a brake switch.

It arrived, and I fitted it to the Sport. It was perfect, except for one thing. It made my Tarozzi clip-on's look old & crappy. So, the obvious solution was to buy another pair of Tarrozi's... then I saw the current prices. Hmmm, back to eBay. I found the following:

I was expecting them to be pretty crappy, as they cost $38.99 AUD (no GST). They arrived, and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

This is how everything looks now:

The only modification I made was to strip the paint off the front brake lever, so both match.

Cheers

Trevor
annm

Re: Front brake switch

Post by annm »

What size bore?

David
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

14mm
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

Post by scbond2@yahoo.co.uk »

does it work well with your disc and is that standard?
steve
Ming

Post by Ming »

I swapped the Grimeca on my Strada for one off a Kanguro, with brake light switch and (I think) a smaller piston. Improves the braking no end in my opinion (on original disc).
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

I rode the Sport to work today, and I can honestly say the new master cylinder is way better! Nice and firm lever, but still has plenty of feel.

I have a standard disc, however, my late Father-in-law ground the hard chrome off. I have stainless lines, and the caliper is fitted with later 1025 pistons (which I reckon are an improvement).
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Looks like a good un! Well done.
MRC 3082½