Rough running

The 3 1/2 forum
72degrees

Re: Rough running

Post by 72degrees »

Lewes96 wrote:I have pondered putting an original air box on but they seem quite hard to come by. Step 1 will be to clean the electronic fuel tap, and check the jets. What is standard size by the way? Then get hold of an air box if the previous steps don’t work.
Not sure if it depends on the year but the 'blue book' states 112 for a 350 Strada.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Have a look here for jet sizes. http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/carb.html
pedro

Post by pedro »

NLM were selling replica airboxes a while back, might be worth asking Rob.
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, if your filters are the source of the problem? have a look at Polini 90 degree filters with covers as an alternative to the standard air box/filters and tuck up under the tank in still air, out of the weather etc and avoid some of the problems with K&N, Ramair etc filters especially in the wet.

The Polini 203.0098 air filter 46mm will fit Dellorto PHBH 26/28 mm carbs as fitted to 500/501 Morinis; I don't know about the 350 carbs but Polini make loads of different filters.

This is what they look like - https://www.puchshop.de/powerfilter-pol ... blauw.html

Scooter shops are the best source, they are available in the UK and should be around £18 each (or less).

Good luck, Ian
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I have an original 3 1/2 airbox if you want to PM me.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

'It must be a .....' wrote:Hi, if your filters are the source of the problem? have a look at Polini 90 degree filters with covers as an alternative to the standard air box/filters and tuck up under the tank in still air, out of the weather etc and avoid some of the problems with K&N, Ramair etc filters especially in the wet.
<Googles>

Hmm, they look worth a try. I shall report back after a trial on the 2C/375 and if they work well may also put some on the Forgotten Error - although that might raise 'period parts' eligibility issues ;)
Ming

Post by Ming »

72degrees wrote:... although that might raise 'period parts' eligibility issues ;)
If you know a good plumber, he should be able to bend you some 'manifolds' from large-bore tube, that should qualify age-wise... :?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:
72degrees wrote:... although that might raise 'period parts' eligibility issues ;)
If you know a good plumber, he should be able to bend you some 'manifolds' from large-bore tube, that should qualify age-wise... :?
Ha!
Too much weight!
'It must be a .....'

Hi, here are some more detailed Polini filter images (hopefully?) The carb is a 26 mm PHBH Dellorto from a 500 Morini.
Attachments
Polini Morini.JPG
Polini Morini.JPG (150.48 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
Polini Dellorto 26mm.JPG
Polini Dellorto 26mm.JPG (135.16 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

'It must be a .....' wrote:Hi, here are some more detailed Polini filter images (hopefully?) The carb is a 26 mm PHBH Dellorto from a 500 Morini.

I'll second what Ian is saying here. It was he who put me onto these and I have a set on my Camel now, they work a treat. As he said they fit nicely under the tank and take up less space which leaves you more room for cable routing etc. The bike is running fine on standard jetting too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Steve Brown wrote:
'It must be a .....' wrote:Hi, here are some more detailed Polini filter images (hopefully?) The carb is a 26 mm PHBH Dellorto from a 500 Morini.

I'll second what Ian is saying here. It was he who put me onto these and I have a set on my Camel now, they work a treat. As he said they fit nicely under the tank and take up less space which leaves you more room for cable routing etc. The bike is running fine on standard jetting too.
Are you running them with or without the covers. Presumably you have oiled the foam?

I can definitely use them on the 2C/375 and a quick start up seems OK. A road test will be needed though.

Fitting them on the Forgotten Error with 125H tank will require at least a rethink on petrol line routing and possibly carb banjo orientation.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes, with the covers and oiled with some sticky air filter oil.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
norbert

Post by norbert »

These Polinis are what I was looking for, but could not find them with 90° and 46mm. Thank you very much!
One of my spanish friends use them (but not 90°) in his race-bike and is content with them.
I don´t have much space under my tank and use some K+N replicas with the original snorkels of the 500 (shortend). After mounting a wind shield in front of the first filter the problem with rain disapeared, but I´m still not realy convinced with that filter, although I had no problems with them on my 5000km trip to spain this year :P
k-DSCI0018.JPG
k-DSCI0018.JPG (65.66 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
k-DSCI0040.JPG
k-DSCI0040.JPG (97.59 KiB) Viewed 9250 times
norbert
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Great looking bike Norbert!

I have k&n r-1100 filters on my 501 dart, which have a 40 degree angle on them. That probably would not tuck in enough on a naked bike but works ok on the dart.

Having said that I’m tempted to try those polini 90 degree filters.
'It must be a .....'

norbert wrote:These Polinis are what I was looking for, but could not find them with 90° and 46mm. Thank you very much!
Hi Norbert, they were quite easy to find in the UK when you search scooter sites/shops: Polini 203.0098 90deg 46mm air filter

https://www.racing-planet.co.uk/filter- ... 8MnDPlReM9
https://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/6096 ... lters-46mm Notice there are 30deg 203.0097 & straight 203.0082 options.
https://www.pedparts.co.uk/category/air-filters If you scroll down this page you will find the Polini filters and many other pod filters.

Trust this helps? good luck, Ian