Gold cast wheels

The 3 1/2 forum
Mark

Gold cast wheels

Post by Mark »

Hi all.
I’ve had a quick look to see if this has been discussed previously here but can’t find anything.
So, can anybody give me a colour, reference number or whatever as to the colour of the later cast wheels, or would it be better to leave the colour matching to the powder coating company who’ll do the job?
Cheers.
EVguru

Re: Gold cast wheels

Post by EVguru »

Which of the (at least) three or four variations of yellow/gold do you have?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great, thanks for the help.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Mine are babyshit tan, if that helps? Can't imagine them ever being actually gold.
DD
MRC 3082½
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

On the 2C/375 I'd describe them as more of a mustard hue. Probably faded over 38 years to be fair. I can tell you what isn't the right colour - the seemingly Humbrol gold enamel someone had daubed on the cast wheels of the 77 Strada that 'donated' the engine for the Forgotten Error. They had applied it liberally on various other items too.

There are few MRC members who, confronted with a restored machine, will say "I really like your bike mate but...". That is more the attitude of some (not all I'm glad to say) VMCC types.

If you already have some 'gold' cast wheels, but that have seen better days, I'd be inclined to let the powder coater match the best areas on those. Otherwise, do some Morini wheel image googling, choose a shade you like and see if they can match that from a good print out or ask them to look at the original.

Or perhaps someone will come up with a Lechler paint code for an 'official gold to match the 'official' red that is sometimes quoted.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

EV Guru's post above wasn't meant to be unhelpful. Morini used a number of different paints and suppliers depending on who they had credit with, what day of the week it was, which factories were closed for holidays etc. As 72degrees said, just get the closest match to what's already on the wheels, or choose a shade that you like. You won't lose any points at a concours judging.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

On the 2C/375 I'd describe them as more of a mustard hue
The 250 - 2C is indeed mustard, a 50:50 mix of English and French mustard should do it :D

Mark
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

mbmm350s wrote:
On the 2C/375 I'd describe them as more of a mustard hue
The 250 - 2C is indeed mustard, a 50:50 mix of English and French mustard should do it :D

Mark
Ha! With whole grain effect produced by not cleaning the sand/grit from blasting off properly before re-coating?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Would look good at Coupe Moto Legends...

Yes, in Dijon...

Ok, that joke didn't cut the mustard... If you have to explain it, etc...
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Getting more obscure: how about Grey Poupon as a mustard colour?
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'd feel silly asking for Gray and ending up with nappy yellow...
pedro

Post by pedro »

If your after originality probably not an option, but my 79 350/501 has silver wheels that are, in my opinion far more attractive than the gold.
They have the added plus of not being compared to nappy contents or condiments.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks everybody for your ideas.
I’m not after concours, I’m just trying to put a wreck (sold for spares) back on the road at a not too silly cost and I thought it’d be easier to get it about right if there was a colour or code.
I had actually been considering silver wheels as an option Pedro, as you say they look good I may just go the same way!
Cheers all.