Pressed early double drum side panels

The 3 1/2 forum
Gary D

Pressed early double drum side panels

Post by Gary D »

Hi

Can anyone please confirm if the early pressed side panels of the Double Drum bike, can be fitted to all the later 3 1/2's & 500's? Also, does anyone know when MM stopped fitting these items?

Many thanks

Gary
texaskitty

Re: Pressed early double drum side panels

Post by texaskitty »

These comments apply to fitting - or trying to fit - the early 350 steel side panels to a 1980 500. You might be able to do it with a bit of mucking around.

On the left, the 350 steel side panel's lower/front edge fouls the 500 frame, leaving the bottom mounting point of the panel 12 mm or so out from the 500 frame. Also on the left, the steel panel's rear edge fouls on the 500's rear brake hose. You could cut a piece out of the steel panel to clear the frame and it might be possible to re-route the brake hose so that there is no foul there; the piece needed to be cut out of the panel might not be that noticeable - if you are prepared to cut a good panel.

Right side: the steel panel's rear edge fouls on the mounting tab for the brake fluid reservoir and I think it will also foul on the electrical component (I don't know its real name) which is mounted on tabs forward of the fuse/wire terminal area. I think that component has something to do with the electric start.

The top mounting tabs on the 500 frame don't quite seem to match up with the holes on the 350 steel panels, perhaps by a mm or two, but it might be possible to get around this by opening up one or both holes in the steel panels.
Last edited by texaskitty on 06 Oct 2018 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Gary D wrote:Hi

Can anyone please confirm if the early pressed side panels of the Double Drum bike, can be fitted to all the later 3 1/2's & 500's? Also, does anyone know when MM stopped fitting these items?

Many thanks

Gary
I don't know, but a 77 Strada I bought had them and my 79 Sport had the later GRP? ones.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

I would buy the glass reproduction panels and modify to fit.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi

Thanks for the feedback on this. Particularly from Texas Kitty, I really appreciate the time taken to respond in detail.

Best regards

Gary
unreal

Post by unreal »

These have popped up.
https://shapecraft.co.uk/shop
Look to be well made.
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Hi unreal

They are quite well made actually..I know because we make them :wink: ! I can also say that they would need modifying a little to fit a 500, though it's looks doable.

We are pressing 10 pairs & they'll be avaialble in 3 weeks. 5% discount to a MRC member that sends an image of their current membershio card. I can be contacted on gary@shapecraft.co.uk if anyone's interested?

Cheers

Gary
P&S

Post by P&S »

Going back to the initial question, the answer is yes, up to a point.
New panels go on old bikes:

Old panels go on new bikes as long as they don't have the relay for the electric starter.
That kind of side panels (two holes and the pommel) ended when the K2 vas introduced. (1984)
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Don't forget the mk3 side panels as fitted to k models, they came from the factory on bikes with no tail fairings and also on k and k1 models with both types of tail fairings.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have all three!

May have some Mk 1s for sale shortly.