Another 3 1/2 Sport to return to the roads - soon

The 3 1/2 forum
buzby

Re: Another 3 1/2 Sport to return to the roads - soon

Post by buzby »

It looks fabulous ,much better than any of my bikes. One thing that does look strange to me is the striping on the side panel, why did the factory not bother to make it line up with the tail unit ?
David
75 350 Strada, 76 350 Strada, 76 350 Sport. 80 250 vee, 72 Triumph TR5T and 81 Honda CB250RS
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

When I first saw it, buzby, I thought it was just a duff or shoddy bit of restoration by a previous owner and that it would really bug me. I've since seen one of the brochures on the MRC site that has the same misalignment :? It still bugs me but my irritation is now directed towards MM :D If the paintwork wasn't so damn good I'd re-do it, correct or not.

Best not mention to Mrs GB that she has a potential 'race bike', Paul :wink: I wouldn't be surprised if it was done to save the on the cost of two extra banjos and a stainless steel T-piece!

Steve
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Re: Front brakes...

Mine has the original rubber and both come back to the Master cylinder and the long banjo. As Paul says, a brake light switch screws into the master cylinder.

Mike.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks for that, Mike.
As it happens the new 6 quid mechanical front stop switch has already thrown its hand in simply during the course of bleeding the brakes :? How many times have I told myself 'Buy cheap, buy twice'? The original rear hydraulic one is also a bit hit and miss so Ive ordered a pair of what i hope will be decent quality hydraulic jobs from Venhill - they certainly cost enough, especially the longer double banjo version :shock:

Steve (wot sometimes wonders why we import so much low quality chinese landfill)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Agree with the Chinese sentiment, in part. People go on eBay and buy the cheapest. This country should start manufacturing again, be a lot greener than shipping half way across the world.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

My 350 has twin stainless brake lines all the way from the master cylinder to the calipers,They pass through the rings on the spring clips fitted to retain the fork boots though these days I have gaiters.. I had a screw in switch at the rear of the brake lever, Got the brake hoses from HEL some years ago.Sometimes cheap is good so long as it isn't cheap & nasty.( examples being Dawes Galaxy-free,Cycle jacket-forgot to charge me, rear Top Peak light-found in the road.)
How are those stainless brake pistons doing? Reminds me one of my ATE calipers is sticking a bit on a R100RS so that's another job.
At least now I know what my bike would look like if i replace my old black system,its holding up but won't go on forever.
Won't be too long before the sun comes back.....
John
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Good morning, John.
I've re-routed my brake lines now so that they pass between the fork legs below the bottom yoke and above the mudguard. It looks much better. I just need to sort out some guides to stop them rubbing on the paintwork. Something near to the front mudguard mounting bolt on the fork sliders looks favourite so far. I have some thin stainless rod that I'll have have a play with later this week.
The stainless pistons appear to have been a success so far. I managed to get a nice smooth cut (it's 303 grade free-cutting s/steel) using a round-nosed profiling tool on a very slow feed. It was then just a question of giving them a quick lick on the buffing wheel and they came up like a chromed finish. They're a bit heavier than the original ali ones obviously though if the weight was ever an issue - which it isn't with my waistline :oops: - then I could thin the walls down a fair bit. I left the dust seal retaining lip a little thicker than before just to give me a more substantial mounting to grip in the chuck for facing off the bottoms. Ignore the camera lens distortion - they are actually round :wink:
pistons.jpg
pistons.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 8583 times
I'm quite pleased with the appearance of the sparkly exhaust system. The Keihan silencers came with the bike and Rob at NLM did a sterling job getting the down pipes to me before they closed as they had to made, NLM having sold the last set they had just before I rang them. I still have the complete original black system.

Nice to know that you're a fellow Galaxy and Boxer user :D I bought myself an Ultra Galaxy back in 2009 as my retirement prezzies to myself and we've covered several thousand comfortable miles since then, though I will admit to replacing the drops with some straight bars and fitting wider tyres in September after a 150 mile camping tour around the Birmingham canal system - tempus fugit etc. The terrible surface of the cycle route from Bridgenorth to Ironbridge was the final straw for the older bones.
Can't wait for the sun to reappear!

Steve
huub

Post by huub »

nice job with the rake pistons, i did the same when my morini 350 needed a brake rebuild,
bought new o rings , and made stainless pistons.
has been in use for a season , should outlast the rest of the bike ;-)

Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi GB,
since your photo post, the resemblance to mine is really striking including the same two long front brake hoses and stripes that won't bloody line up! But - I have Pantah drilled discs, a black, slightly shorter exhaust-system and clutch cover, also a little more "patina" ... ahem.

You have those vertical cylinder damping rubbers, which I've never seen on a Morini, also a rectangular headlamp - looks nice! Apparently we can use a stronger bulb on these with no ill effects. Also, it looks like you also have no horn-grille.

I urge everyone not to shrink indicators as they're a survival aid and on these I reckon the rectangular originals look great anyway - not forgetting they'll match your headlamp.
What's your frame number? I'm 23313.
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Dom.
Those rubbers are stamped with what looks like MM so I assume theyre original/genuine. I'd like to get hold of a horn grille at some point. When I got the bike the trumpet was pointing upwards - presumably no rain was expected :)
I fully agree with your comments about the indicators (they came with it) and I will be on the lookout for decent quality full sized ones. As an interim measure they do have 23w halogen bulbs in em so are pretty bright. I note that many of the small after market jobs have rather pathetic 10w bulbs which in daylight seems to be asking for them not to be seen.
Im reserving judgement on the headlamp until its been on a beam tester at the MOT. It looks like a 'left hand drive' one though its obviously passed previously - perhaps because its not too bright :wink: Being square it does help with the 80s style doesnt it?
As Basil Fawlty almost said - 'Dont mention the stripes'. I notice those buggers everytime I open the workshop door :roll:
Im in South Wales until the weekend having brought my daughter back here after the Xmas break. Once I get back I'll check on the frame number. I know there is no engine number, or at least Ive not found one, though as an import I understand that Italian market machines werent usually stamped anyway.

Thanks to all for your input and advice so far. Have a safe and enjoyable 2019. Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello again, Dom.
My frame number is 22901, so just a little earlier than yours. Manufactured date is down as 1982.
The new hydraulic brake switches arrived from Venhill and were duly fitted, so I now have a fully dependable brake light. Apart from fitting a pair of mirrors it's now pretty much ready for the road - and it's only January :(
It's going to take some will power not to get her out and about. This was supposed to have been a project for me to tinker with until Spring. So much for restraint, eh? :roll:

Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Very nearly there now :D
This afternoon I added the threeanarf to the insurance at phenomenal cost. £5.60 for goodness sake :shock: Ive asked if I could pay monthly but theyve not got back to me on that one. (RH insurance have been very easy to deal with over the last few years and never impose silly admin charges each time I add to the fleet)
If nothing else crops up in the meantime I'll take it for MOT this week. If that goes to plan it will be very difficult to hold off on getting the tax until April. Theres a certain Mrs GB who's unseemingly keen to have a go on it :wink:

Steve
Richard

Post by Richard »

Greybeard
I bought a K2 just over a year ago and was concerned about the headlamp (rectangular type) which dipped up on the right hand side. Was advised by NLM that they taped them up for MOTs and had never any problem. Shone mine on the garage wall and I'm sure it would have failed. Two short strips of strategically placed PVC tape converted it to a 'flat dip' which was not queried by the MOT tester when checked on the beam tester.
Oddly, my 1973 VW Beetle has two identical Bosch headlamps marked with arrows showing that they dip to the left, but one dips left and the other dips to the right!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

She sailed through the mot without a hitch, Richard. Id set the headlamp against the garage wall and according to the beam tester it was fine in spite of being left hand drive :wink: id fully expected to have to resort to some black tape but it wasnt necessary.
Initial rides on the bike are pretty favourable. Quite a flexible motor above 3000 to 3500 revs and very smooth at 4000 to 5000. Didnt feel the need to run her above that today. Very pleasant indeed. Pics soon, and may see about getting Mrs GB aboard tomorrow.

Steve
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Greybeard wrote:Quite a flexible motor above 3000 to 3500 revs and very smooth at 4000 to 5000. Didn't feel the need to run her above that today. Very pleasant indeed. Pics soon, and may see about getting Mrs GB aboard tomorrow. Steve
I think you'll need to try again, Steve. The sweet-spot actually starts at 6000 ;)
D
MRC 3082½