Grimeca bleed nipple

The 3 1/2 forum
pedro

Grimeca bleed nipple

Post by pedro »

I have a twin disc sport (501 engined) and the bleed nipples are badly corroded, not unusable, but look a mess wheras the rest of the bike is quite pretty.
I have been trying to obtain some new ones without success, apparently they have not been available for some time with the dimple for the ball.
Has anyone used the ones being sold for Grimeca without the dimple? (slightly shorter) I did try filing the pointed type down and putting a dimple in with a Dremel but only succeeded in breaking through, so thats not such a good idea.
I know that I can clean them up and paint them, but they are quite far gone and for not much money I would rather replace them if I can.
norbert

Re: Grimeca bleed nipple

Post by norbert »

Hi Pedro,

concerning hicraulic brakes (grimeca, brembo lockheed etc.) I can recomand Jörg Bohnenstiel / bomoto

https://www.bomoto.de/joomla/index.php

His homepage was out of order for longer times. Now it looks like he has forgotten the contact dates. Try bomoto@t-online.de
Last winter I bought some spares for grimeca brakes from him, bleed nipples included :wink:

norbert
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thank you Norbert, I have emailed him.
I would still like to know if anybody has used the non dimpled type (which I have) The ball is going nowhere so I can't see that it would be a problem, just want to check others experience.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Rob at NLM has told me people shave them down, exactly how is a mystery to me.
DD
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Is this an MRC product, in stainless?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:Is this an MRC product, in stainless?
"Out of Stock".
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks P&S, two out of three of those are not the dimpled type, Nic at "Guzzi bits" thought he could get some but they are on back order (out of stock)

However Bomoto has come up trumps (Thanks Norbert)

Thanks for the help everone.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I have managed to file the pointy type nipples down with success. It doesn't need much, it only secures the ball on its seat. It is of course a bodge, but a good bodge. The art of good bodging is not practiced enough these days so it's up to us to preserve it. 8)
I also think it was more successful than the previous owners bad bodge, which involved trying to force the tapered end type nipple into the seat where the ball should go. He'd sealed one side but the other wasn't playing, he just needed to file the nipple and a full set of balls.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.