Wheel bearing condition and removal

The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Wheel bearing condition and removal

Post by Lewes96 »

How often should wheel bearings be replaced and how to check if ok? Removal looks a bit if a tricky one! Mine is a 77 Strada with 20k on it. No reason to think the bearings are failing but was just wondering.
72degrees

Re: Wheel bearing condition and removal

Post by 72degrees »

Not as tricky as it looks. Cast or spoked wheel?
Whichever, it's lot easier to get them out if you heat the hub/wheel first. Hot water or a hot air gun will help expand the alloy. Then drive the bearings outwards from each side after removing any circlip (cast front wheel uses one IIRC) as appropriate. Push the spacer out of the way first to give access for a suitable drift on the first bearing. Note position of any washer.

To replace, cool the bearings in a freezer. Heat the hub again and quickly, but carefully, drive in the bearings in from each side(remember the spacer!). I use a proper alloy bearing driver and appropriate discs but you can use an old removed bearing as a drift. Replace washer and/or circlip.

As to when? When they are obviously failed (wobbly) or getting 'rough' when spun rather than smooth. Best checked with the chain off and brake good and free for the rear. I like to check my front for super smooth spinning with the caliper unshipped (also worth checking alignment and centring with the caliper back on after a bearing swap).
George 350

Re: Wheel bearing condition and removal

Post by George 350 »

In addition to the above, on cast wheels it is worth removing the powdercoat from the inside of the speedo drive gear part of the wheel outside of the bearing or it is possible to crack the drive gear! (and yes, I did find this out the hard way!) and these gears are no longer available as far as I know.
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019