Strada speedo query

The 3 1/2 forum
mms

Strada speedo query

Post by mms »

Hi Folks,

My wife's 1981 350 Strada K1 failed the MOT test last week because the speedo was only in km/h, with no mph markings.
Even though the MOT test is carried out at Govt. run test centres here in Northern Ireland, I would have thought the same legal requirements apply so I have a few queries for you all:

1. Can I just apply some 'stick-on' markings to the existing speedo, and if so is there a suitable supplier or do I make up my own to show 30, 40, 60 and 70 mph?
2. Is the speedo common across the Strada and Sport range, or will I need to get one from the exact same year/model? The originals have a black trim but this looks as if it may swap to similar earlier chrome versions?
3. Lastly, does anyone have a suitable mph speedo for sale? (I have also put a post in the 'wanted' section)

Many Thanks,

Michael
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You can get converter gearboxes, but lots of people fit cheap bicycle speedos (in addition to the original). These can be calibrated quite accurately.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
mms

Post by mms »

Paul,

Have just ordered up a converter gearbox from NLM.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Michael
Jem

Post by Jem »

I have had a kph speedo on my Sport since I bought it 11 years ago and never failed an MOT: they are legal.
Find a different MOT station - if they don't know about speedos what else don't they know?
neil

Post by neil »

My 250 single has a kph speedo & has never failed an mot, but maybe that's because the tester never looked at it! If you fit a converter gearbox the dial will still show kph so how will the tester know it reads in mhp? (or am I missing something here?)
Neil.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Should have mentioned my Kanguro which has a Kph speedo but a 18" front wheel instead of 21" (factor is 19/10 instead of 16/10) and still no problem. Tell them to get lost.
neil

Post by neil »

Have been digging about on the net and found this site:www.motuk.co.uk/
I can't find any reference to the speedo being part of the test, which is essentially a safety test to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy. No doubt it is a legal requirement to have a device which shows your speed in mph/kph or both but it doesn't appear to be needed for an mot. Copied this from the web site:
"It is worth noting that not everything constituting a motor vehicle is a testable item. It is fair to say that if the testers manual does not specifically mention an item it is not possible for an mot station to test it and fail it. Remember you have the right to appeal against any decisions that you do not believe to be correct and all mot stations provide a form to enable you to do so."
Maybe you should challenge your test station or better still just go elsewhere!
Nei.
mms

Post by mms »

Neil/Jem,

Thanks for your replies.

As I mentioned in my original query, the MOT is dealt with differently in Northern Ireland and has to be carried out at one of the Government run 'Test Centres' which also cater for cars and commercial vehicles, as well as bikes.

This can mean that you get someone doing the test who is maybe not as familiar with bikes as others, but most of them are very good and over the years I have started to think that an 'independent' test is perhaps a better idea than having the work carried out by a dealer checked by himself. I also do a bit of flying, and this procedure of having a second person check and sign off any work done is used extensively in aviation.

Anyway, from listening to experiences friends have had over the years in trying to argue or have these test outcomes overruled, I reckon it is probably easier to just do what they want this time.

I suppose ultimately it comes down to what is legally required for a vehicle to be roadworthy in the UK, and a mph speedo probably makes sense.

I do like the thought of telling them to stuff it, though!

Regards,

Michael
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Blimey! I too have not had an issue so far. I have tried searching on the internet for the definitive answer. Best I have found is if you are using a vehicle after dark then the MPH must be visible, so I think that just marking the clock is out unless you can come up with some luminous paint. Another reason for moving to France I guess.
Incidentally has anyone had trouble at MOT time for not having a separate red reflector at the back?
neil

Post by neil »

A red reflector on the rear of the bike is now an mot requirement, came in a year or two ago.
Micheal, I'm still not clear on how fitting a gearbox convertor will get the bike through an mot as the speedo will still have kph markings.
Neil.
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

The tester at the station I used to use years ago would "test" bikes by asking "is it alright??" then write a ticket out. His mechanic was a bit more stringent, he'd sort of look round the bike til he found something wrong then stop the test, let you fix it on the pavement then pass it. Usually he never got past checking the lights, the rest of the machine not tested at all.

Back on topic, has anyone ever worked out a way of taking the bezel off a speedo so it can be refitted?? It would be nice to just alter the Kph on the speedo face to Mph. Does anyone sell replacement bezels??

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
neil

Post by neil »

I'd like to do just that with the speedo on my 250 single. Unfortunately I don't think it's that easy. Read an article recently in a mag about a guy that repairs speedos & he has special jigs & an hydraulic press to remove/replace the bezels. I hope you won't ask for details as I can't remember the mag it was in (too much time spent reading & not enough doing!)
Neil.
mms

Post by mms »

Neil,

Converter gearbox arrived from NLM today.
It is actually a Motrax part, and fits down at the front wheel end of the speedo cable between the cable and the drive unit.

This gearbox reduces the speedo needle deflection for the same speed.
So what was showing as '100' at 100km/h now shows '60' for 60mph.
It also comes with a sticker for 'mph' to put over the km/h bit on the standard speedo.

The only problem with this is my wife now has a speedo which can go to 200mph ! A little quick for a Strada?
The odometer reading at present is in km, but will record miles from now on - a little confusing but not a disaster I suppose.

Regards,

Michael
neil

Post by neil »

Ah, now I get it! The sticker of course being the most important bit. Wonder if it will it work on my 250 single, I feel a visit to NLM is in order!
Neil.
stuart

Speedo failed MOT because of K/PH markings?

Post by stuart »

Frankly I'm amazed that it failed.

My wifes car has a speedo that hasn't worked (at all!) for the last 6 years and has never been noted on the MOT forms. Sounds like either your, or my, MOT station doesnt understand the rules!