Swinging arm removal

The 3 1/2 forum
jeromefack

Swinging arm removal

Post by jeromefack »

Is there a special too available to undo the swinging arm- I have a bit of lateral play but cannot move it with a 15mm open end spanner. NLM assure me if I move the pivot round a bit , regrease and re tighten it should be OK. Sam assuming that when looking at the swinging arm from the right hand side of the bike the pivot unscrews anti clockwise- or am I being stupid?!
Steve Brown

Re: Swinging arm removal

Post by Steve Brown »

jeromefack wrote:Is there a special too available to undo the swinging arm- I have a bit of lateral play but cannot move it with a 15mm open end spanner. NLM assure me if I move the pivot round a bit , regrease and re tighten it should be OK. Sam assuming that when looking at the swinging arm from the right hand side of the bike the pivot unscrews anti clockwise- or am I being stupid?!
No special tool I know of but I always use a large adjustable spanner. The average 15mm spanner is a bit short for enough leverage. You're right in turning it clockwise as you look at it. It is a normal right hand thread. Is the spindle tight/seized in the bushes? And both nuts are off too aren't they?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Removal is with normal tools.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Do you have wear in the bushes, or just side play?

My video on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-mnkTi8JA
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

My experience is that often the problem is more a wear of the axle than of the bushes. In that case I do the same as NLM recomended: give the axle 1/4 or 1/2 turn and fix and grease it all again. That may help for some more years.
jeromefack

Post by jeromefack »

Thanks for the help on this. I think I will have to make a tool that fits snugly on the end of the pivot in order not to damage it. Has anyone fitted grease nipples to the swinging arm?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

jeromefack wrote: Has anyone fitted grease nipples to the swinging arm?
Yes, I have. One on top of the bush on the left and the other at the front of the bush accessed by taking the flywheel cover off. Helps if you don't want to remove your rearsets for example.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

My early 74 has grease fittings on the end of the shaft. I thought that was stock.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

My 82 Sport has a grease nipple in the right hand end of the shaft. I'm guessing it's standard :?

Steve
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

If you fit rear sets then the holes for the plate utilises the grease nipple holes in the shaft. People then fit nipples on the actual trunnion. The original sintered bushes and bronze ones that people fit, produce a grinding paste - phosphor bronze is best sed in situations where oil is used- and subsequently wear the shaft. You can recover the shafts as the ovality is usually less than 0.5mm and then fit Iglidur M250 advanced plastic bushes which self lubricate and are not hygroscopic, they work better when soaked with water. I have not had to replace any of the swinging arm ashes on my bikes with this material and I ride in all weathers in winter. If you should decide to 'go plastic' then don't use any of the nylons, it absorbs water.
jeromefack

Post by jeromefack »

It all makes sense now- I have the Tarozzi rear sets so hence no grease nipples. Once I get some rotation I will simply grease the shaft as it is supposed to be and put the rear sets back. Thanks for all the help- I will let you know hoe I get on when I have made the tool.
By way of another topic, I have fitted Continental Classic Attach tyres which are simply brilliant on a 3 1/2.
norbert

Post by norbert »

jeromefack wrote: By way of another topic, I have fitted Continental Classic Attach tyres which are simply brilliant on a 3 1/2.
Yes, i agree absolutely! :P