Valve timing

The 3 1/2 forum
Tim Louth

Valve timing

Post by Tim Louth »

Hi all,
Another question following confusion from the manual
I am rebuilding my 350 Sport engine and am at the stage where I need to set up the valve timing.
Is there an 'idiot's guide' out there for 350 valve timing? I do admit to getting a bit senile but the manual is confusing me a bit.
Can you do it without a timing disc and special tool No 009?
Steve Brown

Re: Valve timing

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes you can do it with out special tools. Set the crank with the dots aligned as in the manual picture, then set the camshaft with the dots aligned etc. Slip the belt into place and Ken's my uncle. The bit I often got wrong was replacing the pick up parts. Hours of fun kicking away till I twigged it was 180 degrees out. Just align the marks as per the book and it will be fine.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Tim Louth

Post by Tim Louth »

Thank you Steve.
One question though. How can you be sure the pulley is in the correct position when you slide it on to the crankshaft. Is it just a case of making sure the front piston is at TDC?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

The flywheel keyway on the crank aligns with the punch mark on the crankcase. The cam pulley punch mark aligns with the punch mark above it on the crankcase. The lower pulley on the crank is verniered so you can get the best timing for the belt. So set the crank and cam, put the lower pulley on and then try the belt. If the belt doesn’t allow the cam and crank timing marks to stay aligned, remove the lower crank pulley and rotate it one tooth and try again.

As with all things timing, rotate by hand and do a sanity check of tdc and valve events before you go too much further.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

When I was rebuilding the hill climb 350 I found these posts useful:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2911&hilit=cam+timing#p15472

If you haven't acquired a new cam or pulley the existing dot on the lower pulley should be what you try first but be prepared to try adjustment if the belt won't go on nicely, as Tom explained.
Tim Louth

Post by Tim Louth »

Thank you all.