Replacement rectifier / regulator

The 3 1/2 forum
davel182

Replacement rectifier / regulator

Post by davel182 »

Does anyone have the NLM part number for their replacement rectifier / regulator so that I can check the Mdina website, please? I have scanned all the old posts and found some references to it, but not the part number they used (the OEM part number obviously has none in stock).

Alternatively does anyone know for certain whether the one for the Kanguro with more terminals (7 I think) can be used on the K1 (which uses only the 2 yellow plus brown on the "C" terminal - "R+B" left unused)? I have read Norbert's excellent description of the various versions but I want to be sure (I've already rather stupidly bought one wrong one!).

Thanks in anticipation.
Richard

Re: Replacement rectifier / regulator

Post by Richard »

As a Morini novice I'm not sure whether or not this helps, but...…..
I bought part number M167136 from NLM in May for my 1986 K2.
Richard
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Richard - thanks for the reply. The old NLM description "VCR 12V-7 & FIT" is not all that meaningful, but the slightly expanded Mdina description "Regulatot vcr 12v-7 & fitting instruction" does sound like it might be the 7-wire part described in Ralph's post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1937, and Mdina have 3 in stock.

I have now seen that the Kanguro regulator has 6 positions for spade terminals with the first 5 marked G G +B C L but only the first 4 seem to actually have the spade there, so this is not unlike mine on the K1 but, as I said before, I'm trying to be sure this time before I buy. Norbert's post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3632#p17731 refers to a terminal "B+" so maybe this is the "+B"?

Dave
Richard

Post by Richard »

It has 7 terminals of which 2 are not used and another 1 "red...(if you have one from stator)".
Don't know how to put pictures up on this site (and don't want to go into it, please!), but if you send me a PM with your email address then I can send you a copy of the instructions if that would help.
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Richard - thanks for the copy of the fitting instructions - that helped a lot and I'm pretty sure it is the one Ralph refers to, except now it has the extra link wire he was missing. Did you 'play' with the position of the 2 yellows and the red from the alternator as he suggests to get a better voltage - it sounds a bit strange? I think I'll probably order one - at least I know they work.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Dave,
Sorry for delay replying but I am having computer problems at the moment.
The one I got, as previously mentioned, was sold to me by Stuart, NLM who said it was the correct replacement. I wired it as the instructions and did wonder if the output was as great as it might have been. The original unit was letting the voltage rise to unacceptable levels and the NLM one cured that. I ride using 2 very bright LED DRLs which are only 12W each and so the output is plenty to cover that load and replenish the battery charge after using the electric foot.
If you are brave enough to try swapping the leads then I would be very interested to hear the result and, if successful, then I might pluck up courage and try it!
Was it the ex-NLM one that you bought or the one on eBay?
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Richard - I bought the ex-NLM part from Mdina which arrived the next day but without the extra connecting leads for the bigger than normal spade terminals - they are going to make some up but have to order the necessary 'crimps' so it looks like being next week now. I found a diagram at http://www.saprisa.com/en/regulators/40 ... wires.html under the Download tab which I believe is the same model (7155) and that has the red wire from the alternator on number 2 on the NL:M diagram (with the yellows on 1 and 3 which looks right as 2 is a different size to 1 and 3) so that's what I think I will try first. It also shows what the 2 smaller unused spade terminals can be used for.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's interesting. I can't help wondering if the red and two yellow wires are completely interchangeable.
Keep me posted please.
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Richard. Connectors finally arrived this morning. I fitted with the red from the alternator on the larger spade terminal. I measured 14.3V across the battery at ~ 2000 rpm. I found the 2 larger spade terminals fouled the fuse box connectors and had to gently bend them to fit and so, with frequent showers as well, I haven't tried any other combinations, but I would have thought the voltage I'm getting to be just about right. You may be correct about them all being interchangeable (that seems to be the conclusion Ralph came to) but as the voltage across the alternator yellows is double that across each yellow and the red, it seems like it ought to make a difference to me. Anyway we know at least 2 combinations 'work' now.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Surely the two yellows are the ends of the coils and the red is the centre tap, so that yellow can go to either of the yellow connectors on the regulator (G - Giallo), whereas the red only goes to red (R - Rosso).
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Ming. The new regulators are not marked with colour codes. There are 7 terminals in all and 3 are marked with a '~' symbol for alternating voltage, so it is not clear cut which are for the yellows and which for the red. Dave.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

davel182 wrote:Ming. The new regulators are not marked with colour codes. There are 7 terminals in all and 3 are marked with a '~' symbol for alternating voltage, so it is not clear cut which are for the yellows and which for the red. Dave.
If the reg/rec has three terminals marked for A/C it suggests you have a three phase unit there. I often wondered if that would work with only two A/C inputs? No doubt Paul C will be able to tell us? Anyway I think you really want a simple single phase reg/rec?
The rest of the connections must be marked for pos+, neg-, and switched live etc?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Steve. I don't think this is for 3-phase - just "bi-phase" or whatever the correct terminology is for the alternator setup on the Morini where the red wire is in the middle of the inner and outer coils. The NLM instructions state to use the third terminal if the stator has a red wire or just 2 terminals for the yellows if it doesn't.
Mondo7

Post by Mondo7 »

Hi there,
Did the M167136 rectifier/regulator work out on your 3-1/2?
I have just ordered one from Mdina and I'm hoping it's not another piece to add to my collection of not quite right parts.
davel182

Post by davel182 »

Yes, I'm still running it on the K1 and it seems to be charging OK. As I said above, you will need 2 larger spade terminals but hopefully Mdina will send them with the unit now they know (then again ...).