Can you help identify a stator for me please?

The 3 1/2 forum
julianharty

Can you help identify a stator for me please?

Post by julianharty »

I've got an old stator I bought a while back, it has 5 wires (Yellow, White, Grey, Green and Red). Of the 6 poles, the ignition coil pole is around 10 - 11mm wide, as is ONE of the 2 short alternator poles, the other 2 short ones are around 14mm wide as are the 2 tall poles. I'm guessing it's for one of the off-road models but haven't found a clear match from reading this forum or the Internet.

Thank you in anticipation - I'm considering whether it'd be suitable to use on a 350 road bike and if so, how to connect it to a suitable - probably modern - regulator.
Steve Brown

Re: Can you help identify a stator for me please?

Post by Steve Brown »

It sounds definitely like a 6/12V Kangu/Camel type stator. If you look on the Dutch club website there are diagrams of how to reconnect the coils and make it a full 12V unit. Then it easy to use a standard reg/rec unit.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Thank you Steve,
I've found the instructions http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/6-Volt-conversion.pdf and will have a go at following them. I'll try to remember to post my progress here. I need to decide whether to fit it instead of the 100w stator on my current bike that I've just resoldered (the rotor was a bugger to remove).

By the way, on this bike I have the sachs electronic ignition so don't use or need the ignition coil to work (which makes things simpler).
norbert

Post by norbert »

I Think this one should give about 120W instead of the 100W of th first series because if the thicker coils. Probably this ones were mounted when the electric starter was invented :roll:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Julian,

Remove the ignition coil to increase your horse power... by at least 0.01 bhp at the rear wheel, with added lightness as a bonus... :)
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Mike,
Tempting to remove the ignition winding, of course I could remove the stator entirely and fit a solar panel fairing to keep the battery charged instead - better aerodynamics and perhaps I'd even qualify for the feed-in-tariff if I do it quickly?

At some point I'd be interested in exploring ways to replace the ignition coil winding with one that'd improve the alternator output. From other posts on the forum it seems the potential is there but few people are able to design and implement the changes and we'd also need a former to wind the wire around).

More practically, I'll probably leave it be for now - I've got to get the bike to be reliable before I worry about mico-tuning steps :) As I read earlier this week: I'd prefer a bike at 90% performance that's 100% reliable than one that has 100% of the performance 90% of the time. For me, I want my bikes to be able to ride 1,000+ miles without failure of the bike. That way I can take rests when I want without having them forced on me (as my Green 350 decided to encourage a few days ago - the one I'm fixing currently)