Handle bar switch

The 3 1/2 forum
Stubaker58

Handle bar switch

Post by Stubaker58 »

Hi,
I’ve just bought a tatty but MoT’d and running ‘79 Sport and am in the process of tidying it up to ride this summer. It seems to have only done 50 miles since being imported in 1999 so needs some road time!
A PO had got around a non functioning indicator switch by cutting the wires, bypassing it and fitting a separate switch. My question is ... is it possible to take the switch apart? It’s a plastic CEV unit and the various rocker switches don’t seem to be broken, although I haven’t tested the electrical continuity ( can’t find my multimeter!)
The same PO has also rigged a pull for on brake light switch (I’m assuming it should be push for off?) so that’s the next job.
Thanks for any help.
'It must be a .....'

Re: Handle bar switch

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, If it is the original CEV switch first take out the two small bolts to separate/remove the plastic switch from it's alloy mounting on the bars (which has grub screws to hold it to the handle bar), then the sides of the plastic CEV switch just pull off and once the brass rods are removed the rocker switches are easily removed/accessed.
It is possible to take the rocker switches apart to clean all the contacts, springs and balls, yet this is more involved as you'll see.

Hope this helps
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Thanks.
It looks original, and judging by the spiders inside, untouched. I’m just a bit wary in case I break the plastic.
I’ll give it a go later in the week and post how I get on.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I have NOS CEV switches available.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Ok, I got the switch apart and only broke one of the three locating dowels. Someone else had been in there but after fiddling around with the indicator switch section I built up the moving contact with solder and hey presto it works.
Thanks.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I bought a Kanguro where the indicator switch was missing the metal contact. I made a new one out of thin brass sheet I bought decades ago, probably around 0.25mm thickness by cutting a strip of 30mm x 4mm and folding it to suit. The fold points are 3mm, 6mm, 12mm, 6mm, 3mm - it's symmetrical. The 3mm need to be made narrower so they fit into the spring, I trimmed their width to roughly 3mm. Once I folded it (see photo) I also used a handfile to shape the ends so it fits tightly into the recess in the switch. I first made a prototype in cereal packet cardboard, as I learned from Blue Peter on TV in the 1970's. I still accidentally destroyed the first iteration of the brass strip.

There was a bit of fiddling and fettling to make sure the ends didn't catch against the contacts when the switch is operated. For those of you who get that far in the process I expect you'll work out what to do. Time taken, a couple of hours including thinking of ways to solve the problem and do the fettling. Cost, less than £1/$1/1€ brass sheet is still for sale in 2021 I discovered.
CEV206 Indicator switch and homebrew contact
CEV206 Indicator switch and homebrew contact
brass_contact_cev206_indicator.jpg (480.35 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
PS: I've also bought various forms of copper, sheet, bar, and rod which I can use for the next incarnation of this as and when this one fails.