Ignition key switch.

The 3 1/2 forum
Tim Louth

Ignition key switch.

Post by Tim Louth »

Hi all, I was hoping to get a spark out of my 350 Sport this afternoon but i think there may be an electrical issue. When I turn the key there is a circuit from the red wire through to the brown but not to the green I thought there should be a 12 volt supply to the green for the transducers. I know there is a diode in circuit, which I think is duff on mine, but I think the key switch may be defective as I have checked the continuity through the key switch in every condition. There is no circuit to the yellow either when the key is turned for parking lights. There are no diagrams in the manual to show the contacts of the switch and how they connect. Can anyone advise as to whether red should go to brown and green through the switch. Many thanks.
davel182

Re: Ignition key switch.

Post by davel182 »

On my K1 the ignition switch works as follows:
middle position (off) just 3 and 4 connected
clockwise from off 'parking' lights 3 and 4 still connected plus 1 and 6
anti-clockwise from off (ignition on) 3 and 4 disconnected, 1 and 2 connected plus 5 and 6 connected

Hope that helps.
Ming

Post by Ming »

The diode is there to prevent 12v reaching the transducers as it will cause their sudden demise. The green wire from the ignition coil on the stator supplies power to the transducers, the red wire to the transducer carries the signal from the pick-up to the transducer. The green wire is connected to earth when ignition is switched off
walkermarra

Post by walkermarra »

Hi Ming, You appear to be an electrical guru, could you tell me the total sequence of a six pole ignition switch, Mine does not appear to make sense ! Also The Electrotrap does itwork on the same principle as a fuse. Thanks for any help you can give
Ming

Post by Ming »

Guru? Moi? 8)
I'm no Guru, but thanks. I can only refer to the 3 position switch on my Strada. Key out is everything off, key in, turned one position is ignition on, turned to the next position is ignition and lights. So Off - Ign - Ign + lights
I have a K2 which is only 2 position. Off - Ign + lights
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

This same query was very helpfully tackled just a few weeks ago on here. You should do a search
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

This same query was very helpfully tackled just a few weeks ago on here. You should do a search