forked

The 3 1/2 forum
mbmm350s

Re: forked

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
A 350K (or K1) series sport would have the hex headed fork nuts not the ones you have, so likely someone changed the tubes in the past, assuming you have an A series sport.
Cant see its a problem if the nuts fit though.
Mark
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

Post by scbond2@yahoo.co.uk »

the only other difference ive noticed is that the tarozzi bottom cir-clip is recessed further in the stancion
steve
George 350

Post by George 350 »

This is deja-vu!
See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4150 and my comments with the Pantah stanchions.....
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

thanks for that George tho as usual it raises more questions

Did you have pantah forks or early mod morini ,it seems they are different?

How did you diagnose the spacers etc?

did you ride it un modified?

is there a part no for the interim fork/stanchion?

sorry to be a pain but we all need knowledge
steve
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Steve,

Please note that I did this fix 7 years ago, so it isn't fresh in my memory.
Back then I made the 'error' of believing what others had said in that the Pantah forks were the same as Morini and got a set of Tarozzi Pantah tubes. This was found to be false, at least when I compared my original 1978 bikes forks to what I had bought. I was restoring the bike when I got the new stanchions, so never tried to use it unmodified. As an Engineer by trade, it wasn't something I could leave untouched so engineered a solution for it. It seems like the later K1/K2 forks MAY be the same as Pantah, but I have no idea if they are.
In addition to the top caps,I had to do the following:
1/ I 'moved' the damper assy (from memory) 30mm up the stanchion (I'll have to see if I still have the drawings I made somewhere...) by making spacers to go between the 'top hat' at the bottom, to fill the gap between the circlip and 'valve' in the stanchion, and 2/I shortened the spring spacers at the top by 30mm to compensate.
See:
3 new spacers.JPG
3 new spacers.JPG (243.51 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
4 original and new.jpg
4 original and new.jpg (388.87 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
5 old and new bolts.JPG
5 old and new bolts.JPG (222.39 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
This was all written up at the time and published in ATG, sometime early in 2012.
NB: I had to fit new , longer bolts as well to compensate for the damper moving up.
Bottom line is, it all works.

Regards,
George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

george
impressive stuff and id like to see the article if anybody has a copy
steve
ps it would be useful if the club could put as many back issues of atg on their site as possible
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

They are available to members, not sure from which edition number, though. Just login and you can look at a copy, I believe.
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

mickey can only find two atgs on the members site am i missing something?

george i wander if you could make me a set of spacers as im no engineer remuneration can be arranged, perhaps you can pm me
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

Yes, you are correct. It would appear only the current magazine is available.

The other problem is that pre digital magazines would need a lot of effort to scan and upload, not forgetting to index everything. Forty years of magazines to search! Have you tried the club librarian?

Mike.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

It is ATG322 you are after.

Mike is correct, only the current issue of ATG is available online

Regarding back issues of ATG online, we have a couple of limitations here.
- Firstly, we have digital copy back to 2011 and some assorted previous issues digitised, so can't put a full library online.
- Secondly, to be a meaningful resource, we would need to OCR the digital copies to make them properly searcheable and indexed.
- Thirdly, we would incur additional web hosting costs to host the considerable file size of all ATGs.
-Fourth, we have some members who are late in renewing or who lapse and re-renew periodically. This causes membership number and cashflow fluctuations for the club. If we were to put all past issues online permanently I suspect we would only see a worsening of this problem.
- Finally, we would devalued the magazines which our long-standing and supporting membership have accrued.

We trialled selling back issues either by digital download or on a USB stick, and I'm not sure we ever sold any (2015-2016 digital download is still available on the products site). To me, this indicates that demand for this type of resource is low, so, whilst it would be a fabulous resource the effort to create and maintain it is not worthwhile (bear in mind we are all volunteers).

I think a workable solution would be to digitise and index the old magazines, and then to make them available as digital downloads (individually or bundled per year) for a nominal fee (50p to £1 an issue sounds reasonable to me) What say you all?

If anybody on the forum has any professional experience in the field of scanning, digitising and indexing old copies who would be prepared to take the project on then we would be glad to hear from them. Bear in mind that the older copies are not straightforward as even the original old copies are of 1970/1980s copy quality!

Anyway, back to the original question. I have put ATG322 on the members area for you, which you will be able to temporarily download at the below link (you will need your members area password):

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/membe ... ATG322.pdf
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

tom
thks for that
perhaps some recent mags could be downloaded without search function to produce some info and the search op could be added to the new mags from now on?
steve