Spare gear lever

The 3 1/2 forum
Silverspur

Spare gear lever

Post by Silverspur »

I intend taking the Strada on the Moto Piston this year and I'm assembling some spares to take along, er, just in case.
Does anyone have a gear lever, no matter how tatty, I could carry as a spare, should the tarmac melt under the centre stand?
Thanks
Ming

Re: Spare gear lever

Post by Ming »

I'm afraid not - but a couple of tin lids (or similar) can act as load spreaders. Only one if you have a side stand.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have not found it so hot that tarmac melts on the Moto Piston Rally but having just yomped up Farenheitstraat in The Hague clutching a big bag of bottled beer from Brouwerij’t IJ, I can confirm it’s hot enough around here to melt anything
Not as hot as the last heatwave when I got to 44 Celsius in Catalonia ( or was that Catatonica?) but then I wasn’t trying to dodge those accused cycles.
Such fun John
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Ill be there as usual with selection of Morini spares!

Dont have a gear lever though sorry
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

I just bought one on eBay. Cost $75 once I paid for shipping from Italy.
Silverspur

Post by Silverspur »

OK, I've given up trying to find a Morini lever. Anyone know of a lever from another bike that would fit, or a generic fitment?
Seems daft I can't find a gear lever!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mole wrench? :) Said after too many cocktails and pints of IPA.. Leeds on a night out is great!
norbert

Post by norbert »

There are other things than a gear lever, that I would take with me on an longer trip. I´d rather carry a pickup and ignition box (in the 80ies I had two times problems with the pickup in italy and in Ireland/England. Since I returned to the bikes in 2000 I take them along as spare ports on long runs. And I didn´t need them my self but some friends, so it helps :wink: ). A gear lever is much easier to find. And in Colombres/Los Indianos as well as at the MC Piston there use to be spanish morinis as well.

norbert
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

My friend gave me a Ducati lever. He said it has the same splined shaft size.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

When I was rebuilding Mepstein's 3 1/2 Sport engine, I shifted it through the gears with a lever from a Moto Guzzi Ambassador. As long as the shaft diameter and splines are the same, then just about any lever could be made to work.