Engine cuts in and out.

The 3 1/2 forum
Sicxtyone

Engine cuts in and out.

Post by Sicxtyone »

I've done about 100 miles since getting my old 350 back and running, but things are not so happy now. After a few miles a misfire starts, throttling off clears it briefly but it starts missing again. I've looked in the handbook and a reference there seems to point to the pickup, OK starting, but when warmed up the fault appears.
Now, can I swap over the red pickup from my 500 engine and try it in the 350? Or is this not going to work?
What are the options re replacement of red pickups the bike has Ducati electronica transducers numbers 323921 the 350 has a red pickup
Any advice will be much appreciated
Graham.
3potjohn

Re: Engine cuts in and out.

Post by 3potjohn »

MAybe worth removing the float bowls if you haven’t and fling out what’s in there, checking for evidence of water, before looking at the electrics.
John
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Red pick ups - If you simply want to test it, then why not? Just be aware that there are at least 2 types of red pick up, and you need the matching magnet for each type- see the Dutch morini site for pictures of them. They won't work properly (if at all) with the wrong one in place.
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi john,
I've sloshed out the tank and flushed the carbs as I also thought dirty fuel. I'm getting good flow to both carbs. I can't get the carbs off the inlet manifolds they twist but won't come off, any tips?
I've got a new belt to put on then I'll strobe check the timing so have some more to check.
Graham.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The Nylon inserts in the carbs have swollen. Get a little light oil in there and keep at it.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

As a follow on to this, I've a crack across the rh side of the pick up. So 99% that this is the cause of rough running?
Dangerous to assume but availability of a series 1 red pick up is probably < 0 and it would be 40yrs old
Is repair an option , anyone done this?
You tube threw up some videos by Soren Hansen on Morini ignition systems, very informative.
Has anyone bought the Marcus Heilig pick up http://www.morini-pickup.de option.

Also can the oil seal on the gear change shaft be changed externally?

Thanks in advance for any help
Graham
Currently two dead Morini :shock:
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Graham
I've a crack across the rh side of the pick up. So 99% that this is the cause of rough running
probably! if the crack runs from the corner of the pole upwards and then across the top surface of the potting as here it causes fracture of the coil wires. I have seen pickups with no cracks but when de-potted were faulty and perfectly functional pickups with cracks.
Is repair an option , anyone done this?
Yes.
Ask George Lane - he will do it. George and I have identified all the different pickup variants (4), the winding details, direction, number of turns, wire diameter etc. Repair is cost effective but please be aware it is a lot of effort to either dissolve the resin or chisel the coils out, clean it all up, rewind and re-pot. However we can restore them to as original, and it means no messing about with different pickups etc.
Has anyone bought the Marcus Heilig pick up http://www.morini-pickup.de option.
Yes, its high quality and adaptable for either red or black pickup purpose, it is not mass produced electronics and the price has to take that into account.

There is also the NLM pickup, others can comment on the pros and cons of this.

Cheers
Mark
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Re: NLM Pick up.
To me, this is a so nearly there item, but needs finishing. As there is no rebate to keep the stator plate coaxial with the cam, setting the timing and more importantly the clearance between the trigger and the pick ups is not for the faint hearted.
(do a search on here for NLM pickup)
It is most definitely not a plug and play item.
Starting is another issue - you need a good fast kick to get it running. Having said all this it does run well once it is all set up.
If I didn't already have the NLM unit, I would do as Mark suggests with a repair of your own unit or if you can, get one of Marcus's units.
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I should also mention there is the Nuovaray (from Italy) pattern replacement part.
I dont recall if it is only the "black" or whether there is a "red", you need to search for captatore Moto Morini
Since Nouvaray do not have any agent in the UK you have to contact them directly.
I believe that a few members have successfully ordered from Nuovaray.
Maybe those that have could inform us.

There are also some other dodgy replacements - in black these are still doing the rounds.
Of the two I measured recently one had a phase error, between the cylinders,
of more than 7 degrees of crankshaft which is well outside Lambertini's accepted error of 2 degrees.
I should point out that it is possible to correct this electrically, so all is not lost.

Mark
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello Graham, I have just had 2 black pick up repaired by George Lane, not very expensive and well worth doing, always good to have a spare, even if you buy another new one.
Regards Pete.
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

Can I ask, what is the symptom of a faulty pickup, versus a faulty transponder. I`m guessing only a spark from 1 cylinder versus no spark at all ?
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Ross,
In this case with a crack across one half of the pick up, the bike would fire up ok but when riding would be all over the place. Cutting in and out and dying at tickover, until it was unrideable. If a transducer fails no spark at all.
I guess at 43 years old an electrical component that has done 84.500 miles has a right to be able to croak!
Regards
Graham
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Yes Pete, i will be in touch with George Lane shortly.
Thanks for that.
Graham
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Forgot to mention again the excellent series of you tube videos by Soren Hansen on Morini ignition systems/faults etc.
Part 3 esp good for people like me, at explaining the various parts.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Nearing witzend here,
So yesterday had a couple of hours so decided that put the series 2 pick up and rotor from my 500 onto the 350.
Initially the bike started and was noticeably smoother running, even at tick over. I decided to go for a very gentle low rev trundle around and for a couple of miles, the engine was a lovely thing. But with some warmth in the engine the missing and erratic running returned. Can an on the blink transducer cause these symptoms?
Also, can any body tell me what the transducer green wire that runs back to the fuse board do?
Back to the garage for some more head scratching etc.
Graham :?