Clutch push rod problems

The 3 1/2 forum
MoriniMike

Clutch push rod problems

Post by MoriniMike »

After a total engine Rebuild on my 78 sport I have a problem with my clutch. My pushrods don’t seem to be long enough!
I have the four rods and the last small rod only sticks out 6 mm so when I pull the lever the arm makes contact with the chain. All parts are new from NLM. I’ve heard some engines had a ball between the rods is this so.
The pushrod arm bolt is fully wound in and bottoms out in the casing.
Any experience here would be appreciated.
Mike
mbmm350s

Re: Clutch push rod problems

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

have the four rods and the last small rod only sticks out 6 mm so when I pull the lever the arm makes contact with the chain. All parts are new from NLM. I’ve heard some engines had a ball between the rods is this so.
Not this one assuming engine is approx correct for 1978 i.e 12XXX to 16XXX.

You should adjust the clutch operating arm so that it is 15mm from the engine case at the upper part.
This is shown in the workshop manual or owners manual.
Clutcharm.png
Clutcharm.png (259.11 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
If you cannot make this adjustment and the clutch work. Please come back to the forum.
In any case it assists others if you say whether the advice given helps or not.

Mark
MoriniMike

Re: Clutch push rod problems

Post by MoriniMike »

After stripping the clutch and watching several Paul Compton you tube videos i found the problem to be quite a simple one of course.
As i said the clutch actuating arm was making contact with the chain when pulled in so i assumed a clutch problem but found that i had assembled the drive sprocket around the wrong way with the shoulder towards the engine. The shoulder on the sprocket faces out thus increasing the clearance to the clutch arm. :oops: