Piston broke

The 3 1/2 forum
MickeyMoto

Piston broke

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello ,

I have two sets of pistons. One set is 'taller' than the other. ie it has a deeper combustion chamber in the piston.

Which one is the Sport, please? I would say the one with the bigger combustion chamber, but would this piston make the compression ratio lower? One set (with the deep combustion chamber) was taken from a Sport engine and the other set came with the same bike with spare cylinders!

As I am not a mechanical engineer, no smart arse "well, it's obvious innit, any idiot will know' answers, please.

Thanks,

Mike.
-------------------------------------------------------

Mike.
Haboola72

Re: Piston broke

Post by Haboola72 »

Lots of information on the dutch morini club site. (technical/350 engine)
Comparisons with photos between strada and sport pistons.
It's even in English.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As Haboola says above, pics on the Dutch website. In the meantime, the pistons with the taller 'lands' will be the sport jobbies. The base of the combustion bowl is the same height on both types. If you put one of each piston, next to each other on the same gudgeon pin it will be easier to see. It will indeed be bleedin' obvious innit! ;-)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thank you both.

Forgot about the Dutch site. Bleeding obvious it is... I'll have a closer look later.

So the intention is to mate Sport pistons with an M Cam. It will be temporary whilst I rebuild another engine with an S Cam. So Sport pistons and an M Cam in it innit...
norbert

Post by norbert »

In my opinion the M cam is better than the S.

norbert