Forks strip down

The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Forks strip down

Post by Lewes96 »

Having trouble removing the top plug from the Marzocchis. Any tips on this?
Ming

Re: Forks strip down

Post by Ming »

Keep them clamped it the triple-tree to stop the legs rotating and use a Hex Key or socket on an extension, depending on the type of plug you have. I never over tighten mine, figuring that the spring tension is enough to prevent loosening.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Remove wheel or lift wheel off ground unless you want a face full of nut, spacer and spring... Don't ask how I know...

If leg off, clamp in vice. I bought a 2' socket bar for 'stuck' nuts and bolts. Ensure Allen socket is a good fit. Is the plug clamped in the yoke, or above the yoke?
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Leg still in yoke but rotating. Does a bit of heat help?
Ming

Post by Ming »

I'd certainly second Mickey's first lot of advice!
It might be worth dismantling the stuck leg(s) from underneath, to take any tension from the springs off the plugs. If they still won't move you could then remove and invert the tubes and soak them internally with a release agent. They would be easier to handle like that, though would most likely still need to be clamped well before the plug moves. Good luck.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

If using a vice, be careful if you clamp around the caliper mount,vin case it cracks before the top nut...

Have you torqued up the yoke pinch bolts? If turning in yokes, must be well stuck...
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

All stripped down. Came out nicely with clamping in the yoke. And the use of a sump plug socket, which happened to be 12mm.