Fork seal removal

The 3 1/2 forum
Lewes96

Fork seal removal

Post by Lewes96 »

Having a real problem getting the seals out of the sliders. I don’t think they have been changed since late 70s. Ant tips to get them out?
3potjohn

Re: Fork seal removal

Post by 3potjohn »

In the absence of a seal pry tool ( I don’t have one either it’s on my list of tools to get) maybe self tapping screws can be inserted then grip the ends in a vice and give the leg a sharp pull.I think there may be a pair of seals per leg in which case it may be better not to screw into the lower seal simultaneously.
Probably a better way but worth a go.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Have you removed the retaining rings from above them? They can be difficult to see, especially if they've not been accessed much.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Not exactly a reply to your question but are you certain they need replacing? I've recently had some success using a Seal Buddy. Basically it's just a shaped piece of thin plastic that slides down and hooks out a load of crud that is holding the seal off the fork and causing the "leak". £6 for next to nothing sounds expensive but a lot cheaper than new seals and stripping it down. Wish I'd used one years ago!
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

They were leaking quite a lot on one side especially so needed doing. Interesting idea with the self taping screws although sounds a bit risky re the aluminium legs
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Oh and yes - clips out
Ming

Post by Ming »

Self tappers work OK, just make sure you insert them vertically. In fact they are less of a risk than trying to lever out the seals against the edge of the forks. Plenty of easing oil and patience is good.

A 'seal buddy' is easy enough to make from a plastic container, btw.
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

And out they popped: flat metal sheet across the top of the fork tube and a Screwdriver levered against it!