Cylinder rebore and piston sizes

The 3 1/2 forum
brianh0_4

Cylinder rebore and piston sizes

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hello to all of you, and a happy new year,

Just overhauling my 350 strada (75) engine, and ive found some corrosion damage to the rear cylinder liner. It is currently on 1st oversize (+02) . So i'm after some recommendations for piston sizes (availability) and companies that can do the rebore to the correct dimensions.
I havent called Mdina yet, but the web site seems to show 64mm pistons??

Thanks for any pointers/experiences (and places to avoid..)
72degrees

Re: Cylinder rebore and piston sizes

Post by 72degrees »

Those are the '375' (really 366cc) pistons. NLM used to have Vertex 62.6 and not much else in stock. Or there is King of Pistons who even offer SCIAM or forged pistons. An alternative is re-lining.
See: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5304

As to the rebore job, someone may know a place near you. I used this lot as they are just down the road.
https://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Cylinder_Re-Boring.html
rossguzzi

Post by rossguzzi »

I have just had my 500 rebored. Interestingly they are a tapered bore. Not sure if 350`s are too.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

Stock of oversize strada pistons has been limited for many years, however it is perfectly OK (and its a nice combination with strada cam) to install Sport pistons, which should give a wider choice.
NLM (now Mdina) oversize pistons were usually Vertex.
NLM now trading as Lusso Veloce can advise and get rebore done.

All modular Morini 125/250/350/500 non Nikasil were taper bore.

Mark
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

mbmm350s wrote:Hi,

All modular Morini 125/250/350/500 non Nikasil were taper bore.

Mark
I took the trouble of taking a printout from the relevant page of the manual when I took a pair to be done at PJME a couple of years ago. The 366 cylinders on the '375' were done over 30 years ago by Piston Services in Netherton (long gone unfortunately). I knew nothing of the tapered thing at the time, but the chap there was very expert and they have lasted since then. He did look at the 63 mm pistons offered up to my 350 cylinders and suck his teeth a bit about how much 'meat' would be left on the bottom of the cylinder, but I assured him it was a recognised 'mod' and that all would be well.

The OP appears to be in France, so will this be a mail order job presumably?
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies so far. As Mdina will be open tomorrow i will chat with Andrew about availability
And yes i will be posting the barrells to the UK so it doesn't matter where they go..

Brian