The 3 1/2 forum
Gpz900r

Re: 350 ignition

Post by Gpz900r »

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The stator is now sitting on my bench and the obviously re-wound coil gives a reading of 964 ohms on my trusty Fluke 77.

I'll put it on my ignition test rig and measure the actual output voltage if I get the chance.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

EVguru wrote:The stator is now sitting on my bench and the obviously re-wound coil gives a reading of 964 ohms on my trusty Fluke 77.
964 ohms!!!??? That is a typo, isn't it? If not I want one of those! 8)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Steve Brown wrote:964 ohms!!!??? That is a typo, isn't it? If not I want one of those! 8)
It's not a typo and no you don't!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

EVguru wrote:
Steve Brown wrote:964 ohms!!!??? That is a typo, isn't it? If not I want one of those! 8)
It's not a typo and no you don't!
Oh OK. Thought you'd developed a coil to warm the transducers up a bit :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Graham,
you mentioned you use Piaggio CDI boxes and commented on making sure we get the right ones... Please could you elaborate and share the details of which ones you use and whether there are others that would also be suitable?

I've a couple of engines that don't have transducers and would be willing to try out a pair of these on one or the other of them in an old Kanguro I've bought as a project.

Thank you

Julian
Ming

Post by Ming »

You may find the info you need on the Dutch Club site. http://www.motomoriniclub.nl/tech.html#repair
It does show various replacements. The Piaggio ones are for 2 stroke models, but apparently replace the rectangular black transducer. You can also buy transducers from Nuovaray in Italy. http://www.nuovaray.it/en/automotive-ricambistica-moto/
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Ming, thank you for these suggestions.

I have bought new transducers from Nuevoray back in 2017, at the time they cost !95 Euros for a pair including shipping so they're not an inexpensive option (and that's assuming the prices haven't increased or the shipping to the UK now we've declared independence from the EU (I had issues with shipping from Germany last year because of brexit affecting pricing). So I'm keener to try less expensive alternatives. The Piaggio ones from the Dutch Morini site are about £31 each + shipping I've bought a pair and will try them out.

What isn't clear to me from the Dutch site is whether these are OK to use with later pickups. As I've got a red pickup presumably they'll work with it (if it indeed works). I'm fine with adding a diode inline if that helps keep the CDI boxes safe from harm.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Julian,
After about 500 miles with the Ducati electronica scooter boxes, my bike has a few days ago, developed an ignition problem. No sparks to the front cylinder. So I am in the process of checking thru everything. The piaggio boxes seemed good for a while but I am thinking the fault is elsewhere possibly the pickup, ignition winding, rotor or just about anything else! Wish me luck :cry:
Graham
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

No spark on just one cylinder points to a transducer failure, or the connections to the front cylinder unit, including the earth.
The other possibility is the pickup. You could try swapping the transducers[1] and see if that swaps the good spark. If it does it's most likely the pickup at fault.

[1] I specially provided equal length HT leads to the transducers (and now the conventional coils) on the Forgotten Error. This facilitates diagnostics when a spark goes awry between runs at a speed hill climb.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Did the test as per page 98 in the manual and yes as you say the spark moves to the other cylinder. I had noticed the front plug was running sooty recently so it wasn't getting all the beans, eventually the pick up said enough.
So in the market for a red pickup or a repair job?
Graham.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Hi Julian
The cdi boxes I got are Ducati energia 323981 1 2 as per Soren Hansens Morini ignition videos on you tube ( informative they are too) No output for the Rev counter though, needs a separate driver. Soren covers this as well.
Graham.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Sicxtyone wrote:Did the test as per page 98 in the manual and yes as you say the spark moves to the other cylinder. I had noticed the front plug was running sooty recently so it wasn't getting all the beans, eventually the pick up said enough.
So in the market for a red pickup or a repair job?
Graham.
To be clear, you just switched the pickup leads?
If so, yes that points to a faulty pickup.
Not many known good type II OEM red pickups about these days. Maybe someone can repair it - Paul?
Check that the leads are still properly attached to the pickup itself. The 'front' one may have become detached or shorted some how.
Sicxtyone

Post by Sicxtyone »

Checked there, they were a bit dodgy so resoldered them a when I got the bike back.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I hope the bike's now purring on 2 cylinders :) I'm waiting for my parts to arrive and will let you know once I'm able to test them (which may be a while yet as the Kanguro engine is still seized on the front cylinder, and the newer engine is in a stand rather than in a bike...).