Speedo and Tacho rubbers monts.

The 3 1/2 forum
gray3403

Speedo and Tacho rubbers monts.

Post by gray3403 »

Can anyone help. How to get new speedo and tacho rubber in to the tapered chrome holder. 1976 . 3 1/2 Sport.
I've taken the base plate off but I just can't get the rubbers to slot in to them. i have tried soap, ACF 50, hot water. Just can't get them in.
They came from North leicester originally but they almost seem too large.
There is a firm Start Gomma in Italy that has them but they are 111 euros for the 2. Really expensive, but if I can't get them in- what do i do.
Any tips gratefully accepted.
George 350

Re: Speedo and Tacho rubbers monts.

Post by George 350 »

Sorry if this seems daft, but are you trying to do this with the instruments in? If so, take them out and try again. If the rubbers are on their own, then I have only installed them in the base plate first, then put the speedo in, and finally added the trim rings. Never been an issue doing it that way for me.
Rubber grease or silicon grease might help if things are still tight.
Good luck,
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

In my experience, North Leicester Motorcycles (NLM) rubber parts are absolute crap, whereas Start Gomma rubber parts are superb. I had NLM carbie intake rubbers which split in short order, the same parts from Start Gomma were fantastic. Stump up for the Start Gomma ones...

Trevor
gray3403

Post by gray3403 »

Well that is exactly what I discovered. New rubbers and new polished aluminium bits. The came from NLM.
The rubber is terrible. Brand new and it was starting to split. The rubber is far too heavy and thick. The aluminium cover and the rubber are just not compatable.
When the cover was pushed over the rubber it was squeezing it in. hence the speedo / tacho wouldn't go in.
I took a stanley knife and cut a huge amount off the rubber to let the cover fit properly ( it's hidden by the cover so you can't see it)
When I got the two to fit properly I put the speedo / Tacho in place and then attached the base plate.
Anyway- all sorted.
It's the problem with a lot of parts nowadays. Poor quality
gray3403

Post by gray3403 »

I forgot to say Trevor. Start Gomma's price for a pair of instrument rubbers inc delivery was £118.
You get what you pay for though.
That's why I've got noting to lose and luckily I managed to get the ones I had to fit.
Thanks guys.