Speedometer madness

The 3 1/2 forum
Brickboy

Speedometer madness

Post by Brickboy »

Hi all,

I'm after a little advice about the Vague-liar on my 78 Strada.

Odometer fine, needle oscillates wildly - 10-40mph until I hit about 40 then all over the dial as though it was directly connected to the cable.

I hoped it was a sticky cable but not certain it is. If I insert a suitable square cable into the head and turn it the needle moves with the turning right round the dial.

I'm confused!

Cheers Simon
MickeyMoto

Re: Speedometer madness

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello Simon,

It looks like the instrument needs a repair. There has been a thread recently discussing Speedo repairs, mine was wild and 30% fast. Sent off for repair and working ok now.
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

Cheers Mickey,

I searched for a thread but might be incompetent there! Can I ask where you got yours done?

Cheers Simon
Ming

Post by Ming »

An easier way to search (for me) is to google the following: speedo repair site:morini-riders-club.com/forum
Type it into your query box to see. You can change 'speedo repair' to anything else you are looking for. I don't know if it works on all browsers, but google is OK.
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi Brickboy,
There is a thread on "500" section - I know because I started it regarding where best to get my clocks repaired. I eventually went to Peter Bond (guageman1@gmail.com) as I had not had any reply to questions sent to Speedy Cables. Interestingly, they came back with an email on Tuesday, about 4 weeks after my enquiry; this was some 10 days after I had sent my clocks to Peter. Their prices are significantly lower than Peter Bond's but judging by various comments by others, Simply Cables do not sound so good. I have experience of Peter Bond's work but have never had anything done by Speedy Cables.
Good luck,
Charles
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

Lovely, thank you for that. It's certainly somewhere to start!

Cheers Simon