First time owner!

The 3 1/2 forum
mbmm350s

Re: First time owner!

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Andy
Sounds like you have the earlier manifolds marked MM32 with a 3.5 mm hole i just measured one. For that I have vacuum hose adaptors that go on the end of the hose.. So when I drilled it would have been that size rather than 5mm as I said earlier.
Rather than making another hole I would try to get the right adaptors. Try putting a request in the wanted section.
The Speedo drive gear gets damaged when replacing bearings or by being dropped.
Cheers
Mark
Ming

Post by Ming »

For overhauling the calipers, you may find that the existing seals can be 'refreshed' by careful disassembly followed by a good soak and clean in fresh brake fluid. For carb synchronising, I have always used the a couple of lengths of stiff wire in the intakes to check slide lift, together with my ears to pick up an uneven engine note. Has worked well enough so far.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

For carb synchronising, I have always used the a couple of lengths of stiff wire in the intakes to check slide lift, together with my ears to pick up an uneven engine note. Has worked well enough so far.
Ming is so right ! My father taught me to use lollypop sticks . :D

Mark
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

mbmm350s wrote:
For carb synchronising, I have always used the a couple of lengths of stiff wire in the intakes to check slide lift, together with my ears to pick up an uneven engine note. Has worked well enough so far.
Ming is so right ! My father taught me to use lollypop sticks . :D

Mark
Yes those are good ways of getting a very decent starting setting if gauges aren't available-even simpler is to make sure the throttle cables have exactly the same free play on both carbs. :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Ming

Post by Ming »

[quote="mbmm350s"...Ming is so right ! My father taught me to use lollypop sticks ...Mark[/quote]
I might also add that I quite frequently just use 'feel' when setting tappet gaps - hard to describe, just remembering the feel of the movement after using a gauge over x number of years I suppose. I do prefer a slight 'tick' from them anyway. :lol:
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Fat chance of getting hold of any lolly sticks at the moment!!!

Many thanks for the various tips, and you are spot on Mark, the manifolds are marked MM32. I'll keep hunting for something to use rather than drilling another hole. Presumably an older than '78 Sport engine may well have been fitted......

I'm usually pretty good at picking things up by ear but I'm struggling with the 3 1/2 because I'm not sure what normal, or ''right' if you prefer, should sound like :?

I've been hunting for an owner's handbook online, something with the basics about things like petrol cocks, etc. The blue book is very good but makes a lot of assumptions :) Any idea where I can find one which I could print??
JonD

Post by JonD »

If you are in the club I believe there are some copies of manuals in the members only section. If you can't find what you want I have a PDF copy of the 1978 handbook which covers both Sport and Strada models. It is in Italian but it is pretty straight forward to translate, particularly if you have the "Blue Book" for guidance. PM me your email address if you want a copy.

Jon
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

JonD wrote:If you are in the club I believe there are some copies of manuals in the members only section. If you can't find what you want I have a PDF copy of the 1978 handbook which covers both Sport and Strada models. It is in Italian but it is pretty straight forward to translate, particularly if you have the "Blue Book" for guidance. PM me your email address if you want a copy.

Jon
I have that in English. Same offer.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Just catching up on posts, gwr-fasteners.co.uk have the correct socket cap screws ... I’ve just ordered some as I’d recently replaced mine inadvertently with A2 stainless.
If you need new brake hose I can thoroughly recommend speedflow, great service, great product.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi,
If you aren't trying for a rivet counting award, there are some nice uk made 'floating' discs on ebay at the moment - £135 each which I feel is quite reasonable.
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

72degrees wrote:
JonD wrote:If you are in the club I believe there are some copies of manuals in the members only section. If you can't find what you want I have a PDF copy of the 1978 handbook which covers both Sport and Strada models. It is in Italian but it is pretty straight forward to translate, particularly if you have the "Blue Book" for guidance. PM me your email address if you want a copy.

Jon
I have that in English. Same offer.
I looked through the club docs but couldn't find a handbook. Thanks for the offer Jon but should probably go for the English version, just in case.....Will PM you 72degrees

George - definitely not counting rivets, I'll take a look on eBay - is it a Morini specific listing?

Stubaker52 - thanks for the steer.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Andy
The workshop manual which is on the club pages describes the carb tuning. The Dell orto carb tuning manual which can be found on line.
Try here on the site of Andreas Hoffman
http://hofmann-andi.de/MoriniWebsite/Downloads.html
You will also find many links here to Morinisti across Europe who have dedicated many years of learning to these machines and support their fanatical followers.
If your engine has a number it's easy to date it to a year.
There are a number of differences between engines over the years so it's worth knowing what you have. In many cases the later the engine the part will be an upgrade and can usually be retrofitted to earlier engines.
It's like the rubber manifolds which came in about 1979 but many earlier bikes have replaced the earlier metal manifolds that rarely stayed tight.
Mark7
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Ebay disc - Type 'morini disc' into ebay search and it is (7:27pm Sunday 5th) first item listed.
Regards, George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have various manuals, etc, on my Google Drive: Blue Book, Harglo Workshop Manual, Owners' Manuals. If anyone wants them PM me your email address and I'll share them for a week or so to enable you to download them.