Front brake lines and ignition switch

The 3 1/2 forum
Mark

Front brake lines and ignition switch

Post by Mark »

Hello all.

I’ve got Tarozzi high rise clip ons on the 350K1 I’m finishing off so need a pair of brake lines made up a bit longer than standard.
Any recommendations of where best to buy?

I also need a new ignition switch as the key wasn’t with the original rusted wreck.
Can they be sourced new or do I keep using a screwdriver until I find a second hand one?

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers.
Ming

Re: Front brake lines and ignition switch

Post by Ming »

For brake lines, I've used 'Up The Shop' on ebay, who do self assembly kits (measure the length of hose you need - they give a correction for fittings - then add fittings for either end). I have found them easy to assemble, attractive in look and efficient.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mark,

I was able to get a new key for a CEV ignition switch that had no key, using the number on the switch.
It was through NLM just before they closed.

Mark
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

Hi,
I used speedflow for my brake line. I’ve got the raised clip-ons but went to a single disc. I used a banjo bolt with integral brake light switch at the cylinder. The hose was 900mm, I went for the swaged ends with the banjos set at 90 degrees to each other. Very good quality and a variety of finishes available.

Stu
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

On my twin disc K I replaced my old hoses with some from Hel, as they are only up the road. They did do then in red but they had none at the time so made me up a set in black. On my bike there is no splitter.The 2 hoses go from the master cylinder to the callipers. Bike came that way and makes for simplicity.
I had an issue with my 6 pole ignition switch in that the key could be removed when on. I know you could simply remove it to a pocket but in the end I got a non standard replacement from NLM. The key is retained but either due to the switch design or wiring to incorrect terminals ( there were some basic instructions included) I have Off, ign on, ign and lighting.
Also the switch spades were slightly less wide than standard so rather than cut off the old terminals and fit the correct ones I just squeezed them up with pliers.
Hey that is another project.Figure out the wiring correctly.
I did cast about on the internet for a similar switch but gave up. I did note that if described as “Ducati “ they were exorbitant.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

If its a six pole switch why not simply junk the parking lights. A little re wiring and you can use a 4 pole switch,
as used on millions of scooters everywhere, and to make it easy use the 250 2C switch and refer to the 250 2C diagram.

Note not a replacement for the 5 pole switch as this turns the lights on/off as these
machines do not have a handlebar lights on/off switch.
Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks very much for these replies.

Mark, I've looked on the ignition barrel and I can see a 4 digit number on the switch. I see also that NLM's successor Mdina Italia have CEV blank keys available.
As John bought a replacement from NLM as well it looks like Mdina could provide a solution.

Re brake lines, thanks all for the various recommendations and the hose length for high level clip ons Stu - I guess now it'll be down to who's still working!
I have no splitter on either of my two 350K1 either John so presume that's standard, although I believe there is one on my double drum. I seem to remember Ming and I discussing where that's supposed to be mounted a few years back.

Which leads me to another question - can anyone explain to me why I have three 350 sports and more importantly, how I explain it to my wife? :D
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Are they all the same colour? If so you can safely go under the (false) impression that she will not notice. What you need to do is bump into my old mate Jamie. Last time we were in an estate agent in the village I used to live in when he came in
Hi John, alright you? ( North Wits accent)
Arrr, reckon so (hamming it up) I am just selling my mum’s cottage though, opposite the Swan pub, you know.
Still on the old bikes then?
Yes I said proudly, I’ve got three.
Three! I’ve got nineteen.

Suddenly three became ONLY three.....
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sounds like a good plan! :D