520 chain and sprockets

The 3 1/2 forum
bizzywizzy

520 chain and sprockets

Post by bizzywizzy »

During lockdown I am trying to get a few jobs done and am slowly working my way through things. I have just fitted a few small items that came from Start Gomma in less than a week (kick start and clutch actuator rubbers). I am now thinking about chain and sprockets, would like to try a 520 conversion but can’t find a 520 38t rear sprocket (5 bolt). Any done this recently and can point me in the right direction for sprockets?

Thanks,
Mike
3potjohn

Re: 520 chain and sprockets

Post by 3potjohn »

Cannot help with a sprocket but I had converted from 530 to 520 some time ago. Not sure why I had 530 bike cams to me like that. I decided to use an x-ring chain. John
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mike,

Mdina Italia would normally have them.
https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/M43064138520.html. If that's the right bolt pattern anyway.
Wire wheel or cast? They are different. Please double check the part number.

If no stock go to bandcexpress.co.uk, they may not need the original as pattern as they may have made them before! :wink:
I have used B&C they are good.
cheers
Mark
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

Thanks Mark,

I had looked at Mdina Italia and saw they were out of stock.

I have now sent a request for info to B&C for a 520 sprocket to my cast wheel.

Mike

mbmm350s wrote:Hi Mike,

Mdina Italia would normally have them.
https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/M43064138520.html. If that's the right bolt pattern anyway.

If no stock go to bandcexpress.co.uk, they may not need the original as pattern as they may have made them before! :wink:
I have used B&C they are good.
cheers
Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Was going suggest B and C but have no personal experience. My alloy rear sprocket came from NLM about 4 years ago so I would be interested to know the outcome, though at present the teeth look fine. Still got the steel 530 for a rainy day, which seems to be strangely infrequent.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

mbmm350s wrote:
Not wires vs cast, 160mm vs 180mm drum.

The 160mm drum hub/wheel as used on early Stradas and (for example) 250 2C uses the 6 bolt sprocket, whilst the 180mm drum hub/wheel uses the 5 bolt.

BTW, the wire wheel disc braked Strada uses the same 180mm drum as the Sport.

All the above assuming someone hasn't swapped in rogue parts...
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

Thanks for all the advice.

Between Mdina Italia (front sprocket) and B&C Express (rear sprocket and x-ring chain) I have found what I need. 4 to 5 week wait for the sprocket to be machined, while I am at it I'll be changing tyres to Avon Roadrider MKII and should be ready for the end of lockdown. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone at the next Corsaro Section meeting, I would also like to ride up to The Bell Inn for the Berks, Bucks and Oxen section meeting too!

Mike
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

You might be pleasantly surprised about the sprocket. I ordered an alloy 428 one for the 57 Gilera 175 from dimensions supplied to Motorcycle Race Parts. They said a month, but it arrived within a week, though in a package labelled B&C Express. They may take longer to do a steel one perhaps.