Clutch arm and air filter question

The 3 1/2 forum
AndyB57

Clutch arm and air filter question

Post by AndyB57 »

A couple of quick (I hope) questions as I carry on with my deep clean :)

With the clutch cable slackened off I've noticed the clutch arm has a lot of 'sloppy' movement around the pivot. Is this normal or has the arm worn and if so is there a fix other than replacement?

Secondly, are the orange foam air filters washable?
mbmm350s

Re: Clutch arm and air filter question

Post by mbmm350s »

With the clutch cable slackened off I've noticed the clutch arm has a lot of 'sloppy' movement around the pivot. Is this normal or has the arm worn and if so is there a fix other than replacement?
Normal.
So long as the nut (inside the case) is tight. Clutch operating arms do wear, especially if there is insufficient slack in the cable, check the manual and set the adjustments accordingly.
The clutch arm should have a rubber boot, it prevents the arm wearing and/or rattling against the case.
Secondly, are the orange foam air filters washable?
If you mean the standard air filters in the box which were originally orange but now might be black or brown plastic.
been washing them in petrol for more than 30 years..must be mad by now!
To be honest in the UK they don't need servicing that often, in Italy, Australia, USA they probably do need to be done every major service.
I have once replaced some that had fungus growing on them.
Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

With no cable my clutch arm is loose on the pivot so I would say normal. The raised bit on it which actuated the pushrod may look a bit worn. It is said that it can be built up with weld. Don’t know how worn is too worn though but 38 years ain’t bad.
It’s only dawned on me in the past 30 years or so that because of the volume of air to fuel being burned any blockage or even leaks will have an effect. That said because of the nature of the filter housing I have not checked them since I fitted new ones ages ago. My Beemer ones do crud up but then they are blessed with breathing their own excrement in the way of a crankcase breather arrangement.
I did try cleaning out the old ones.( could have saved the task for lockdown) by soaking in degreaser then hot soapy water before fitting them over a wire brush drill attachment and spinning them around at high rpm to spin dry them.
So just on the shelf in case.Undoubtedly the preference is to fit new ones.
John
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Undoubtedly the preference is to fit new ones.
I agree, given they are available at about a tenner each!
Given the bother of getting at them and getting the airbox back together especially the sealed air boxes.

Mark
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Thanks for the reassurances re the clutch arm.

The filters are orange not brown and look very much like those on Mdina's site so reckon they're new-ish. I had already taken the airbox apart as part of my nosing around the bike - still all new to me :).
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

The filters are orange not brown and look very much like those on Mdina's site so reckon they're new-ish.
yes orange plastic outer parts, its the 500/250 ones that I ordered last were a brownish/black.
If they look clean i would leave them be.

If you see the end of the clutch arm it may be worn a bit, i have built them up with weld before when really worn,
but that's like 3 mm worn off.
If you take the cover off its worth checking the arm to case setting is correct - see the manual.
Mark