Metallic scoring noise when clutch engaged

The 3 1/2 forum
allen3620

Re: Metallic scoring noise when clutch engaged

Post by allen3620 »

[quote="allen3620"][quote="George 350"]While I am unable to add to what has already been said, re clutch, please make sure that the rubber seal between oil pump and case doesn't go astray with all the case off and ons. Easy to do if you are focusing on the other end!
Don't ask how I know this...
ote]
Noted, Thanks George
allen3620

Post by allen3620 »

mbmm350s wrote:Hi, Craig,

The sequence of re assembly you quoted isn't the same as the manual, however the sequence you used
could be used when replacing the seals only to save removing the cover.
In the manual the primary driven gear and clutch outer basket are assembled together in the case first,
then the case is fitted and finally (for 350 ONLY) the sleeve is inserted (the 500 has a different sequence)
Anyway I cant think it would make any difference.
Could you post a picture of the wear please.

The primary driven gear has a central bush, excessive wear in the bush (or in the sleeve)
perhaps could cause rocking of the gear ONLY when clutch is disengaged, and only disengaged obviously
as all are locked together when clutch is engaged.
The sleeve usually has a witness mark showing the position of the lip seal.
The wear limit of these parts isn't quoted in the manual,
but i have only ever replaced the bush twice so wear here is rare,
I found the new part had to be reamed.

also if you check clearances and operation without the case you can eliminate any issue with the kickstart mechanism.

Mark
Hi Mark
Haven't had a chance to investigate further today and appreciate your further advice. I accept I should fit the primary drive and clutch basket together with the cover and will do this next time although like you I fail to see how this can effect anything but there must be a reason so will do as the manual suggests. I will closely check for wear as you suggest. Picture to follow.
Thanks
Craigh
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

Check the primary gear bush isn't loose causing the lift when clutch depressed mine did similar used loctite to hold it in place worth a look.
allen3620

Post by allen3620 »

Somebody posted today about loose bush and loctite, I am so sorry but somehow I managed to delete the post. I am new to the forum and don't find it very intuitive to use, probably an age thing, SORRY. If it was you please post it again. Found it Doh! definitely an age thing.
Last edited by allen3620 on 04 May 2020 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
allen3620

Post by allen3620 »

The sequence of re assembly you quoted isn't the same as the manual, however the sequence you used
In the manual the primary driven gear and clutch outer basket are assembled together in the case first,
then the case is fitted and finally (for 350 ONLY) the sleeve is inserted (the 500 has a different sequence)

The primary driven gear has a central bush, excessive wear in the bush (or in the sleeve)
perhaps could cause rocking of the gear ONLY when clutch is disengaged, and only disengaged obviously

also if you check clearances and operation without the case you can eliminate any issue with the kickstart mechanism.

Mark
allen3620 wrote:

Mark
Hi Mark
Haven't had a chance to investigate further today and appreciate your further advice. I accept I should fit the primary drive and clutch basket together with the cover and will do this next time although like you I fail to see how this can effect anything but there must be a reason so will do as the manual suggests. I will closely check for wear as you suggest. Picture to follow.
Thanks
Craigh
Hi Mark
Can't seem to get this to accept any pictures, Have tried re sizing them but no joy.
Craigh
allen3620

Post by allen3620 »

mad muller wrote:Check the primary gear bush isn't loose causing the lift when clutch depressed mine did similar used loctite to hold it in place worth a look.
Definitely worth a look. Thanks